New member with a new toy

Akmark

• 3 months later...

Now that the weather is getting better I am getting back to this project .

I rebuilt the master cylinder, it was leaking out the back.

Now I am starting on the engine. the ID number on the block is DSP 241 81 but I can't find any reference to it with a search, the head is 25 inches long. Does anyone know what it is?

The radiator leaks real bad and the one from the 47 won't fit. My local radiator guy said it needs a new core. I guess I will check around and see if I can find another one.

Mark 

• 1 month later...

I had some time to work on it yesterday, put a new battery in and got it turning over. It only had compression in one cylinder, I poured some atf in the plug holes and now have three cylinders. A little more soaking should do the trick.

It has a short in the wiring, its getting power to the distributor side of the coil with the battery side discontinued. The old cloth wiring is frayed so I started to rewire it, hopefully I will get the wiring done today.

Mark 

• 2 weeks later...

Well I couldn't get all the valves loose so I pulled the head. And of course 2 bolts broke. It looks like the gasket was leaking on # 5, and the exhaust valve is just about rusted through. I didn't want to pull the engine but I guess I have to now.

I decided to do the valves with the engine in place. I ordered a valve grind set and 1 new valve from Napa. I got the 2 head bolts drilled out still working on the manifold stud.

I have a spare engine from the 47 parts truck and was hoping to use the valves from it. The valves in that engine have a larger stem, they are ruffly 3/8 stems compared to the 5/16 stems in the 46 236.6 engine. Also the spring collers have ball bearings in them, I don't recall ever seeing them like that in the past. Maybe they were aftermarket parts?

Going to start lapping the valves in today and get the last broken stud out.

Mark 

• 1 month later...

Finally got the gasket set and got it back together. I rebuilt the carb but the fuel pump that was working before decided to quit. I ordered a new pump but in the meantime I poured some gas in the carb and she fired right up:D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Akmark said:

Finally got the gasket set and got it back together. I rebuilt the carb but the fuel pump that was working before decided to quit. I ordered a new pump but in the meantime I poured some gas in the carb and she fired right up:D

That is always the best time...love the first time they fire up.....

• Like 1

I installed the new fuel pump and then with a little finagleing I got the 47 radiator to fit. I got her fired up and it sounded pretty good so I drove it up and down my driveway:D Going to put the sheet metal back on and then take her for a spin:) I still have a lot to do before it's road worthy but I am getting there.

Mark 

• Like 1

What a great truck!  Makes me sad that I must part with my 1939 1.5 Ton.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, classiccarjack said:

What a great truck!  Makes me sad that I must part with my 1939 1.5 Ton.

Thanks I was hoping to have it done for our old iron show this weekend but I ran out of time. I needed to get my hit & miss engines ready.

Sorry you have to part with your truck :(

2 hours ago, Akmark said:

Thanks I was hoping to have it done for our old iron show this weekend but I ran out of time. I needed to get my hit & miss engines ready.

Sorry you have to part with your truck :(

Me too...  It's being sacrificed to save 3 other trucks.  So it is for a good cause.

• Like 1

Never saw the stamped Dodge badge or black handles before now. You never know what you can learn on these forums. Without lots of help from some of the contributors here, I know I'd be having a much harder time with my '51 B3B. I think you have a very unique truck. I hope the engine is in good shape and that you get many fun miles out of it! Your flatbed truck would be perfect in a parade!

• Like 1