P15 ARMRESTS

Seaside Pete

Hi Guys

After a long search I have finally found a pair of armrests for the front of my P15, however there is no padding only the frames. Can anybody put a picture up of what the complete armrest and bolt heads should look like plus the thread size as there are no bolts supplied.

Thanks in advance

Pete

Screws are american standard   #12-24   (hard to find )    I can take a picture and send it to you if I can get your e-mail address.  I cant seem to post pictures on this site... The padding is black foam rubber.

13 hours ago, dale said:

Screws are american standard   #12-24   (hard to find )    I can take a picture and send it to you if I can get your e-mail address.  I cant seem to post pictures on this site... The padding is black foam rubber.

Hi Dale, it's

petershamp@aol.com

Thanks

Pete

Pete, not sure if these pics will come thru, the brown interior is my Oz 1940 dodge, it has original Oz adjustable door armrests that use 5/16th UNC bolts with an oval shaped alloy cast head covered with a knurled plastic knob, they screw into a piece of 2" x 1/4 thick steel plate welded onto the inner door panel....the holes that the bolts fit into are sloted about 1.5" long which when the knurled knobs are loosened allows the armrests to move forward & backward, an Oz factory setup as far as I know.......the grey/maroon interior was the 1941 Plymouth coupe I had and its armrests were slightly longer than the Dodge but fixed, not adjustable.........as I have sold the car I can't check but again think it also had 5/16"UNC bolts/knurled heads..........I can measure the 40 dodge ones if wanted........andyd     

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1380.JPG

IMG_1379.JPG

IMG_1356.JPG

• Like 1

Hi Andy

Thanks for that, I must admit 5/16 UNC I understand, I was not sure about 12-24? I wonder is that the same thread? is it just another different wording like so many others we have between US and UK/OZ, eg: Fenders/Wings...Hood/Bonnet...Trunk/Boot etc HA HA.

Thanks to all for the info.

Pete

• Like 1

The 12-24 thread is referred to as a 3/16 sometimes...  Definitly not a 5/16.... ... The Plymouth armrests are not adjustible on a 47 plymouth.

Pete & dale.......oops.......I decided to go and actually check........lol.........my memory is going...lol.......the Dodge uses 1/4" UNC threaded plastic covered bolts..........btw..........only you Poms call mudguards or fenders "wings"..........lol...............oops....better go back in my corner now................lol...........regards, andyd. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Seaside Pete said:

Hi Andy

Thanks for that, I must admit 5/16 UNC I understand, I was not sure about 12-24? I wonder is that the same thread? is it just another different wording like so many others we have between US and UK/OZ, eg: Fenders/Wings...Hood/Bonnet...Trunk/Boot etc HA HA.

Thanks to all for the info.

Pete

The smaller sizes are 4 6 8 10 commonly and 12 was next before you get into 1/4 5/16 etc. 12 is now somewhat uncommon you need a good hardware store to find them. Looks like the screws are readily available at mcmaster. You might end up with 50 of them and have to go into the armrest screw business....

12-24 was the largest threaded MACHINE screw fastener before being grouped into the arena of bolts 

I am not sure if you got the answer you need for the padding and covering of the arm rest...they were originally molded rubber that over time and exposure to the elements and what most folks scream OZONE they seem to just melt and ooze their way to a lower point like the floor or edge of a seat.  I do not have a source for the molded rubber...I do however have a fix that I believe will stand the test  of time and look right at home.  PM me if interested...

just looked in my photo folder and I had taken pics of my procedure...while this may or may not be what you looking for...once covered I do not think anyone but you will be the wiser. 

the plywood is 1/2 thick

yellow foam is of dense variety in 5/16 thick

black overlay foam is 1/8 dense and found at arts and craft store...

once the wood is cut, glue on the yellow foam flush...then overlay that with the black, next add the outer and inner thin black foam side pieces, they should be just a tad proud of the top of the black flat surface to allow you to carefully sand a slight roll on the edges...cover in the material to match you interior...

am sure not the only way but was easy do it at home for myself ...good luck no matter how you proceed.

note..first photo could it be a gesture albeit subliminal, to those that naysay my approach.....enjoy....lol  truly nothing of the sort was intended here....

pull 1.JPG

pull 2.JPG

pull 7.JPG

pull 8.JPG

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 3

Tim...am very impressed with your armrest tutorial and pics........seriously.......this is why this forum is so great...thank you...andyd 

thanks Andy, while your car seems to have it arm rests in great shape..maybe a future application or even for those that are at this stage now, if not step for step, it will encourage them to explore avenues of their own creative juices...for the record....a nice shot of the OZONE FLOW of the very rubber that WAS my arm rest when I purchased this beastie to pump up a bit...

as bought6.JPG

Thanks Guys

ANDY.....Sorry I thought you also called them wings...Mudguards here go on bike or motorbike, wings go on cars.

PLYMOUTHY...Thanks for that, I assume after you have made that part you attach it to the metal frame and then bolt it to the door yes?

I managed to get some stainless pan head 12.24 3/4" long here in the UK but they are not countersunk, but they did have 5/8" long so I bought some of those as well in case they would be long enough. As I have not received them yet I want to be ready with the right info, as you can see from the pics they have seen better days.

Thanks again.

Pete

armrest 2.jpg

armrest.jpg

yes...place the newly made foam covered piece onto the frame of the armrest, install your sewn fabric covering.. trim the excess, then position the metal backing plate and screw the smaller screws into the wood sandwiching the fabric between the two pieces of metal.

Do carefully remove your original fabric and duplicate the sewing as close as possible adding a bit of length to allow for the actual fit and trimming...

• 1 year later...

Here's my attempt at armrests. I used Seaside Pete's and Plymouhty Adams' pictures for reference. Thanks a bunch.

021.jpg

Edited by Silverdome

Just reread this thread, and will re-interate my positive impressions of the tutorial and Silverdomes work.......great job and this is another reason why I enjoy this forum so much.............its great to look and learn.....thanks guys..........andyd.    

• Like 1

Here are some pictures of mine.  Not sure why, but they are both in such great shape, still soft, etc., when others' are melting or blistered and oozing.  (I did wash this one, and hadn't realized it would absorb the water - thought it was a closed cell foam.  I wonder how long it will take for it to dry out.  Hope I didn't ruin it by getting it soaked.)  (I know the pictures are not real clear - I have trouble getting stuff to focus right when so close up.  It is a used camera, so maybe it's partly not my fault...)  The bottom photo is the underside.  It was not bonded to the metal frame - it just fits over it, and is held in place by the cover.

HPIM0989-small.thumb.JPG.cdc1053050455c9f68513eaf0319d3e0.JPGHPIM0991-small.thumb.JPG.90ea114d2f51d3d065a17a556163132d.JPG