Canadian Dodge & Plymouth

wayfarerstranger

I have a 1938 parts list manual for Chrysler Canada  - they list a Windshield frame (swing type) for the C18 model 4D Sedan up body no.1062,also for other models, as well as for Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto models up to certain body numbers,for example the Desoto S5 ,"Note - Swing type windshields (Export) were changed at the following effective points - at body number 1391 on the 4 door sedan".... It appears as though  changes were possibly made during the production year.   

Edited by T120
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, T120 said:

I have a 1938 parts list manual for Chrysler Canada  - they list a Windshield frame (swing type) for the C18 model 4D Sedan up body no.1062,also for other models, as well as for Dodge, Plymouth and Desoto models up to certain body numbers,for example the Desoto S5 ,"Note - Swing type windshields (Export) were changed at the following effective points - at body number 1391 on the 4 door sedan".... It appears as though  changes were possibly made during the production year.   

Can you post the part number for the windshield crank and windshield frame? 

Thanks

Dave

2 hours ago, countrytravler said:

Can you post the part number for the windshield crank and windshield frame? 

Thanks

Dave

Dave, The part number for the opening frame (swing type) is 786419,the part number for the regulator handle (swing type) is 778615....There is a full page of part numbers for the windshield assembly covering the various components. There is no drawing of the windshield assembly in the parts manual. These two part numbers are the same for Plymouth P5,P6. Dodge D8,D9,D10. Desoto S5 .Chrysler C18,C19. Some part numbers were changed during the production run and changes to the part numbers are listed along with the body numbers   

There were swing type windshields for 1939 as well, but as in 1938 only for export models.  The 1938 export models were built in Canada and the U.S. - P5, P6, D8, D9, D10 (Canada only), S5, C18, C19 (built only in the U.S.).   The Canadian-built 1938 Dodge D10 DeLuxe Six was sold in export markets and thus had the opening windshield available.

The 1939 Dodge D13 DeLuxe Six was not offered as an export model and thus only a fixed windshield was available while the other Plymouth-based Dodge, the D12, was built in Canada and the U.S. for export markets.   The export models were P7, P8, D11, D12, S6, C22, C23 (built only in the U.S.).

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Hi Roadkingcoupe,

Admiring your 39 coupe, very nice.  I have a  39 Ply business coupe appears that the body / fenders are similar to yours.  I want to change the tires to a modern radial, however difficult selecting a tire size and wondering if I should use 15 in rims..   The size you have on yours look appropriate for the car, would you kindly let me know the size of tire and wheel your are using. 

Regards,

Richard C

• 4 years later...

That’s a Canadian Dodge D25, aka Plodge. It is a Plymouth with Dodge trim. It will also have the longer 25” engine. If engine is original to the car it will be a 218 CID. Looks like a business coupe. It also looks like it is missing some vertical bars in the grille. 

I own the club coupe version. 

D04155B9-2355-4C76-B594-3334C9CCDA56.jpeg.da0e4ab1ca8c1e34b75b7e3dfa862e09.jpeg

1FECBDF1-9A43-48D9-AA78-C8C7AD6E54B9.jpeg.4ee13c367573bdad3e0dddcd8c606088.jpeg

3370B136-8D5B-4647-85F6-758B13F88F4F.jpeg.390ebfe754884d95cffe0be1fc37aa28.jpeg

• Like 1

I have an Oz assembled D15......Plymouth based with Plymouth chassis & wheelbase, fenders, hood, head& tailights, Plymouth bumpers, 1939 style Oz built body shell, Dodge grille(stamped brass & mild steel brackets), badges, moldings & RHD Dodge dash....see pic..........andyd  

P1000699 (800x600).jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very interesting read and some wonderful pics. My grandfather used to say "You'll know the Canadian parts by their suffix, all of the Canadian part numbers are followed by an Eh?"

I can offer up the following. 

https://www.hemmings.com/stories/article/canadian-combine-1934-canadian-dodge-dr

https://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/automotive-history-the-cars-of-canada-part-1-an-overview-of-canadian-brands-and-models/

Brand-Chart-Chrysler-Canada.jpg

Edited by Semmerling