carb rebuild kit

Angel4951

I'm working on a 5 1 dodge 1/2 ton and I can't find it the carb rebuild kit does anybody know where I can get it today? does any of the local parts store have it do you know the part number? I've bought 2 carbs and they are incorrect .the tops where the gas wire goes is on the wrong sideof carburetors it didnt matched like the original that I have so I need to rebuild it . thanks here is a pic of original. Had alot of rust deposits  inside. Thanks

IMG_20161030_095554.jpg

Edited by Angel4951

A general observation on these trucks:  whenever ya want something done quickly, disappointment awaits you at the end of the day...as parts stores rely on computer databases for inventory control, vehicles that have been out of production for over 10 years are harder to get parts for, with the dreaded "back order" listed in the parts availability field on their inventory listing...as parts books gave way to these computers, and knowledgeable counter guys were replaced by hygiene-challenged clock watchers, I learned that it makes life easier to accept that any replacement part can take a week to get...if it takes longer, that's fine too as long as I can get it; if it takes less than a week, we'll that's a nice surprise :cool:

As for your carburetors, I have learned that you must identify the carb in question accurately to obtain the correct kit.  The pictured carb appears to be a Carter Ball & Ball, the model should be stamped into that vertical triangular web from the throat towards the fuel port...might possibly be a "E7T1" or something like that... might not even be original to the truck, so ordering carb.kits by truck model and year will lead to more disappointment... my '48 that has been in the family since new has a '55 Plymouth 230 that no one remembered being swapped out for the original, it also has a D6G1 (Dodge car?) carb with some sort of idle linkage that I think works in tandem with a thermostatic choke that is not present... it took some education to get that all sorted out...ordered a carb.kit from Roberts and a week later I was in business... your mileage may vary :cool:

• Like 3

Ok I found the part number through an ebay search. NFS15021B. Oriles says they have it we will see if they mess up as usual. The pic i I'm attaching is the example of the carburetor that I need is in the middle. The other two have the gas cable hook up on the wrong side.  im woundering if I can make a good one out of all three. Or does it need to be the exact carb?

IMG_20161101_124319.jpg

4 hours ago, JBNeal said:

A general observation on these trucks:  whenever ya want something done quickly, disappointment awaits you at the end of the day...as parts stores rely on computer databases for inventory control, vehicles that have been out of production for over 10 years are harder to get parts for, with the dreaded "back order" listed in the parts availability field on their inventory listing...as parts books gave way to these computers, and knowledgeable counter guys were replaced by hygiene-challenged clock watchers, I learned that it makes life easier to accept that any replacement part can take a week to get...if it takes longer, that's fine too as long as I can get it; if it takes less than a week, we'll that's a nice surprise :cool:

As for your carburetors, I have learned that you must identify the carb in question accurately to obtain the correct kit.  The pictured carb appears to be a Carter Ball & Ball, the model should be stamped into that vertical triangular web from the throat towards the fuel port...might possibly be a "E7T1" or something like that... might not even be original to the truck, so ordering carb.kits by truck model and year will lead to more disappointment... my '48 that has been in the family since new has a '55 Plymouth 230 that no one remembered being swapped out for the original, it also has a D6G1 (Dodge car?) carb with some sort of idle linkage that I think works in tandem with a thermostatic choke that is not present... it took some education to get that all sorted out...ordered a carb.kit from Roberts and a week later I was in business... your mileage may vary :cool:

May I just throw another wrinkle into this?...IMO all kits out there are not created equally. Some are much better than others. I started off with a kit from Napa.....then somewhere else.....for my money Roberts sold the best quality rebuild kit. Included stuff that others did not.

Jeff

• Like 1

a quick googlesearch yielded The Carb Doctor and Mike's Carb Parts to give ya some information to analyze.  Mixing and matching carburetor parts can be done, but you have to check compatibility as there are vacuum ports, throat diameters, etc. that have to be present and line up exactly.  I learned the hard way that Roberts sends several carb.base to manifold gaskets, and if you use the wrong one that covers up a vacuum port on the throttle base, your engine will not run well at all:  low idle might not be steady, which can cause stalling, for example.  My guess is that Roberts has a Carter catalog (that I've seen available a few times on eBay) and has a source that can assemble carb.kits that cover a bulk of Ball&Ball models.  Roberts' quality has been quite good:  the carb kits in my '48 worked many years before the dashpot leather would give up the ghost, and that was before I started using Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas...that extra lubrication seems to keep the dashpot leather from cracking during extended periods of non-use :cool:

I got my carb kit from Mike's Carb Parts. I have a Ball and Ball E7T1 and the kit number was K1142. I found it quite satisfactory and the rebuilt carb works good.

• 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I'll post anyway.

I rebuilt my B&B E7T1 several times using a NAPA kit and I always came away unsatisfied. I felt that there was not much difference. So last winter I sent the carb away to:

http://www.oldcarbrebuild.com/ (I removed the link as he has retired - too bad)

It was the best $200 I spent on my '55 C3B. It came back looking brand new and works like new. I highly recommend Dimitrios Kolioradakis.

I'll attach one image...

carb.jpg

Edited by rlg0613
Remove bad link.
  • Like 2