New chapter in my life.

Todd B

A few years back I had given some thought to selling my Semi and matching trailer.  My wife completely disagreed with the thought and I agreed with her so I cancelled the thoughts.  Sooooo, My wife tells me she has an idea.  Our grandkids count has grown to 6 for now and she thinks it would fun to have a big old convertible to go cruising with the grandkids and friends. She goes on explaining that we never take the semi out anymore like we used to years back and it sits in the shed. The only time I had it out this past summer was to go to Iola with Ben and then drive it up my hill for the Luau.  The trailer never saw daylight this year. 

We have given it some thought and think its time for a new chapter and sell the semi and buy a convertible.   The problem I am having is how do you sell something that unique and for how much?  I really have no clue where to start!! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, Todd B. 

Re-purpose the trailer as a camper. Change it into a camper or build good  'ramps' in the trailer for a show car hauler. Maybe even figure out two decks inside.  Good luck on the transition.  

I think that because your rig is in such good shape and very Retro, you should look to advertise it as a vintage on-site make-up trailer for the movie industry or some sort of lower budget movie production company for same.  These folks are very into retro, and because it is already restored and ready-to-roll, it's a very attractive prospect.

Google various sites with the word movie in them. Just for fun I did, and the first thing that came up was Star Wagons who cater to movie location units.  There are others.  It's rather doubtful that anybody would have a vintage rig in such good shape. They'd only have to install the interior.  Don't give it away.  If you get a bite, know what it's worth and start high. 

It also might be a good prospect for music industry equipment carriers for concerts and such.  I'd push it along all of these higher end companies. You'll get far more $$ than individuals. Best of luck with it.

• Like 1

be sure to list it as a the ultimate advertising write off for a local company that does construction/roofing or landscaping etc....maybe even a Harley/cycle shop for pickup and delivery...  This approach is two fold..first they get the write off as a business expense, second they are less apt to argue the price to some degree....

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

21 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

I think Tim (48D) should buy it and make it a bunk house for his annual party.

Its always been my goal to take it to Tim's BBQ, we could kill two birds with one stone.

• Like 3

You want that truck and trailer to go to someone who will really appreciate it. I would recommend contacting the nearest chapter of the American Truck Historical Society https://www.aths.org/  There are lots of owners and collectors of bigger rigs in that organization and you could either get a contact name or be able to advertise it. It's a great unit you have there and you should only sell when you get a respectable price for it. Good luck with the sale of your rig and purchase of a convertible.....hopefully Mopar.

• Like 1

Hi Todd,

What an outstanding package in beautiful condition!

Does it have air brakes?

What engine powers your tractor?

Walt 

Cannot help but thinking you want a convertible for the grand kids (great) -but-

How about converting the van to something like a motor home with seats for the whole family, a ice box, game tables, etc, for the kids. Got to have TV/DVD, etc.  Inverter?

Sliding roof hatches (convertible wife wanted) and maybe a rear trailer suspension upgrade to some type of air ride to make it comfortable with some type of communication to the cab?

Should not cost anymore to do this than a nice vert. If you do the work. And you get to keep the truck/trailer!  :unsure:

One of a kind!

DJ

14 hours ago, DJ194950 said:

Cannot help but thinking you want a convertible for the grand kids (great) -but-

How about converting the van to something like a motor home with seats for the whole family, a ice box, game tables, etc, for the kids. Got to have TV/DVD, etc.  Inverter?

Sliding roof hatches (convertible wife wanted) and maybe a rear trailer suspension upgrade to some type of air ride to make it comfortable with some type of communication to the cab?

Should not cost anymore to do this than a nice vert. If you do the work. And you get to keep the truck/trailer!  :unsure:

One of a kind!

DJ

Throw some mattresses in back and tell them they are going for a ride in a bouncey house!

Wonder what a real bouncy house would cost and put in the trailer? 

DJ

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 5:32 PM, RobertKB said:

You want that truck and trailer to go to someone who will really appreciate it. I would recommend contacting the nearest chapter of the American Truck Historical Society https://www.aths.org/  There are lots of owners and collectors of bigger rigs in that organization and you could either get a contact name or be able to advertise it. It's a great unit you have there and you should only sell when you get a respectable price for it. Good luck with the sale of your rig and purchase of a convertible.....hopefully Mopar.

I have been a member of ATHS for years, that's a good idea and  will pursue that. I still have no clue on what the cost should be.

Thanks for the input.  Todd

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:33 PM, 49D-24BusCpe said:

Hi Todd,

What an outstanding package in beautiful condition!

Does it have air brakes?

What engine powers your tractor?

Walt 

The truck has hydraulic and vacuum, the trailer has air brake controlled by a "johnny bar"

Engine is 251 original rebuilt motor.

Thanks for the praise

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 6:42 PM, DJ194950 said:

One of a kind!

DJ

I have given that some thought in the past but cannot bring myself to destroying a perfectly good original trailer.  Plus you cannot have people in a towed trailer going down the road.  I would still need a second vehicle to haul the kids.   

I see a few truck lines around here that have an antique semi as advertising.  One company has a flatbed which they occasionally loan out as a stage for a music event.  Sometimes these trucks are used in parades.  There are probably some businesses in your area who deal with truck repairs, chrome dress-up items and such.....often near major truck stops.

They might be helpful in knowing possible buyers and with pricing. 

11 hours ago, Todd B said:

I have given that some thought in the past but cannot bring myself to destroying a perfectly good original trailer.  Plus you cannot have people in a towed trailer going down the road.  I would still need a second vehicle to haul the kids.   

I was thinking that a least some time in the past, passengers could be in a trailer IF it was hooked to the tow vehicle with a  connection between the two was a fifth wheel type, not a ball and hitch setup.

That was in CA. in the past. Not sure if even is legal now if ever- ya know old memory?

Just kidding anyway. I would Never change a thing to alter the originality on such a nice restoration on a rare vehicle.

DJ