Valve spring compressor

Airborne Ed

Hi Guys ,

I need help ! working on my buddies 39 Dodge business coup with a flat head 6 ? . I need to know where we can get the right valve spring compressor for it.

Any help is appreciated ,

Thank you ,

Airborne Ed

The one for a Briggs is for tiny little valves and spring retainers.

Use one like this..http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-K-D-No-700-Flathead-Valve-Spring-Compression-Tool-/302116109198?hash=item465785fb8e:g:5WYAAOSwm0JYDRLR&item=302116109198&vxp=mtr

The spring retainer width is adjustable too.

I have I think three of these in the larger size.....long ago I bought a valve grinding machine and seat cutters etc..and these along with many other various tools were included in the deal...and yes while the style is as the Briggs, as Bob states so accurately, pay close attention to the retainer prongs size to ensure they will fit....it is good to point that out for the first time buyer...

Thanks for the info ,guys .I don't want to choose sides ,but in everyone's humble opinion should I go with the one  Dodgeb4ya  recommends. Will it work on the 39 Dodge flat head 6 valves ? I just want to get the one that works the best out of these.

Thanks for all the info so far guys !!! 

alright now

jump on it while available

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-D-No-700-Flat-head-valve-Spring-Compressor-Old-Mechanic-Tool-/162253268751?hash=item25c70c670f:g:ZkMAAOSwUEVYDp94

of course there are other listing I just picked one that popped up as an example

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

14 minutes ago, Airborne Ed said:

Thanks for the info ,guys .I don't want to choose sides ,but in everyone's humble opinion should I go with the one  Dodgeb4ya  recommends. Will it work on the 39 Dodge flat head 6 valves ? I just want to get the one that works the best out of these.

Thanks for all the info so far guys !!! 

PM sent

• Like 1

A couple pictures of one in use...

KD Flathead Valve Spring Tool.JPG

KD MoPar valve spring compressor.JPG

Yep^^^^ 

You better use small rags or paper towels to plug all the oil drain holes down to the pan including the hole open to the timing chain and gear.

The tappet oil pocket troughs don't really need to be covered.

Have a pencil magnet ready as the retainer is lifted and the keepers will stick to it. Sometimes you need to split the keepers apart from the valve stem.

Thanks Guys for all the info . I got my buddy to order the one that Plymouthy Adams mentioned about on e bay ,a used kd700. I forgot to mention that I have the block disassembled except for the valves and cam . I will be rebuilding the engine over the winter . I know I will have many more questions about the flathead . It's my first flathead rebuild ,so it should be interesting to say the least .

Thank you all for your input . You guys are great !!!!!!:D.

The KD 700 is a good one.. same as the one I've had for 35 years.

• Like 1

As ptwothree mentioned a C type could be used, if the head is disassembled.
A special tool of course is the best solution also in my opinion. But if seldom needed sometimes a (good working) simple home made device can also be a good, easy to get and cheap(er) solution.

Good luck, Jan

Attached a picture of my highly developed special valve spring compressor ;)

valve_spring_compressor.JPG

• Like 1

More tools if you have to have em all...

017.JPG

• Like 1

Three or four 700's on Ebay..currently one is @ $17.50 !!!!  11 bids with 6 days still to go!  IMO Shill bidding!

Sellers feedback is too low IMO 99.5% I wouldn't trust him

Another exact KD 700 is $18.99 buy it now with cheaper shipping and in cleaner condition. The choice is obvious

Edited by Dodgeb4ya
  • Like 2