New spare tire......radial

BobT-47P15

You might recall that last October, I purchased a set of four B F Goodrich Silvertown wide whitewall radials for the

convert while at the Carlisle swap meet.  Got them from Coker Tire Co.  Got them mounted at my favorite tire shop,

and ready to go.....didn't haveDSC03962.jpgDSC07009.jpgDSC07008.jpgDSC07005.jpg much time to get to shows this summer......  But, on the first weekend of this October,

I went to a show in my old hometown of Aurora, MO which is about 50 miles from Joplin.  The tires drove good......much better

than the bias plys I had for the past several years.    

Then.......I decided I should replace my ancient spare tire with one of those new radials that looks like the old bias ply.

The reason for that is because the skinny tire will fit in my spare tire well.....but the wider ones on the ground are

too wide to go between the spare tire brace and the edge of the well. Turns out the new skinny radials are only about

half an inch or so wider tread area than the old bias ply.  So, now, I have a new spare to go with the ones on the wheels. The last picture shows how they list the size of the skinny radials.  Second pic shows the similarity in tread sizes of new radial and bias tire.  Third pic shows how close the height of the two is.

Edited by BobT-47P15
added info
  • Like 1

Niel......my old spare is a Goodyear Double Eagle.......which was a quality tire back in the late

50s--early 60s.  I bought a set of 5 Double Eagles from some friends in a small town in this area.  They had operated

a filling station which they closed in 1961.......and then placed the leftover tires in a warehouse they owned.  I think I

bought the tires in the 1970s.....so they were already a few years old, but still wrapped in those strips of brown

paper.  I ran them on the car (on the wire wheels) for several years until the white sidewalls began "weather and

age checking".  Probably didn't put a couple thousand miles on those tires over several years, but they always looked good.

The old Double Eagle is the tire on the left still on the wire wheel.......and closest to front in the other picture.....with that

straight line tread design.   Probably won't buy another spare on my watch.....if this one lasts as long as the old one.

Good thing you never had to use that old spare.  You would have had a BIG surprise...

I've been fortunate over the years (have had the car since 1973) and only had a couple flats.

I did use the old spare a couple times......but did not go very far or very fast.  

I've enjoyed owning the Plymouth.....when I'm done with it I think it will go to my son-in-law.

He did all the tornado damage repair, which fortunately was not very serious, and reupholstered

the complete interior in his shop near Kansas City.  I then had the new top installed here in Joplin.  

I have acquired a few N O S items I will probably install......like a new horn center chrome ring; a new

center dash radio grille, a good looking original type radio and some other small items.  Always some

things to be done. 

BobToftPic_edited[1].jpg

DSC03962[1].jpg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, BobT-47P15 said:

I've been fortunate over the years (have had the car since 1973) and only had a couple flats.

I did use the old spare a couple times......but did not go very far or very fast.  

I've enjoyed owning the Plymouth.....when I'm done with it I think it will go to my son-in-law.

He did all the tornado damage repair, which fortunately was not very serious, and reupholstered

the complete interior in his shop near Kansas City.  I then had the new top installed here in Joplin.  

I have acquired a few N O S items I will probably install......like a new horn center chrome ring; a new

center dash radio grille, a good looking original type radio and some other small items.  Always some

things to be done. 

BobToftPic_edited[1].jpg

DSC03962[1].jpg

Hey, what ever became of the coupe the tree fell on?  Does the son-in-law still have it?

I know you were chasing parts for it, and found a donor car for a top/roof.

Hi Lee.  YEs he still has it......has had some medical things over time and nothing has been done to it lately.

The new roof is on.  That car had more problems than I was aware off regarding rust, but he has repaired some

of that.  

I had an Olds Toronado with radials and had a bias tire for a spare.  I had a flat and put on the bias spare and wowie.. Pulled back onto the road and went right across into the other ditch.  Lesson I guess is radials and bias tires dont mix.   LOL

• 7 months later...
On 10/28/2016 at 7:32 PM, Niel Hoback said:

I distinctly remember that tread design! The first new tires I ever bought, late fifties, I think. They were Armstrong tires sold by Sears, Roebuck and Co. with the name "Allstate" on them. I was so proud!

I just figured out yesterday that those are the tires that are on my 1950 P20 Plymouth Special DeLuxe Club Coup. I'd never really looked at them before.