Rough Weekend with the Dodge

mlozier76

This weekend was not the best for driving the Dodge.  I was supposed to go to Spokane, about two hours away, for a car show, but because of a friends health issues, decided to stay here in town to minimize his riding in a vehicle.  As a result, I wanted to drive around town here.  I took my eight year old to the local pumpkin patch, to meet a new friend, and when we pulled in my car died.  I had some people help me push it into a parking spot, and figured I'd check into it after we did things there.  I had a suspicion it was fuel related.  When we were done, I took a look at the motor to see what the issue was, and sure enough, my fuel pump had gone out yet again. This makes number four in about a year and a half.  Carter is the brand, but I really think they are junk.  All the ones I've had lose the pin in the lever, rather it works itself out.  After the second time it happened, I started to carry a spare with me.  Does anybody else have this problem?  I got it replaced after getting a ride to get a 1/2" wrench, as that was the only one I was missing. I get the car started, and the carb was leaking like a sieve after a minute or so while running.  Probably need to clean the carb now, as I believe the float is sticking.  Got it to stop leaking, and proceeded to drive home.  I was less than two blocks away from home in the left turn lane, and it died again on the busiest street in my town.  I had to get some help to push it through the intersection and into a parking spot to work on it.  I took off the distributor cap to see if it was related to that, and accidently pinched a wire when reinstalling the cap, which caused the wire to ground out and overheat.  Figured that out and got the rig started again, after a little more tinkering.  Drove it home and parked it.  Needless to say, she's gonna be parked for a little while until I can figure out where my issues are coming from.  If its the carb, i'll probably yank out the motor, regasket, paint it up, and plop the dual intake and exhaust on it this winter.  I was going to work on rebuilding another motor because mine seemed to be burning so much, but while replacing the fuel pump, found that front main is most likely the culprit for the oil loss.  Still going to work on rebuilding the other motor, but I have to pick and choose my battles right now.  Even with all the trouble I had, I still love that old car, and its teaching my 8 year old how to be patient and that not every breakdown requires a tow, and that if you put your mind to work to figure out a problem, sometimes you can work through until you come up with an answer and get back down the road. 

I had the fuel pump  problem years ago when I had NAPA rebuild my old pump.  They used a hardened shaft naturally for the pivot pin, but you can't swage it.  It fell out.  So I have gotten another pump and now I have made a cradle that holds the pin from each side and stays in place.  That solved that problem.

I NEVER commit that my P-6 will ever be anywhere at any time, just too many things to go wrong.  I drove this bad boy everyday in High School and it never let me down, but 50 years after the rebuild and I can't say that.  I am working really hard to get my confidence back in it.  A lot of things I have done in the past 5 years have made it better, so I think I am getting closer!  Have tool box will travel!

Yes, that's a common problem with these replacement pumps. It happened to me at a busy intersection at afternoon rush hour. A kind motorist had a tow rope and help me get through the intersection and into a parking lot. I had rebuilt my old pump with a kit from Auto Parts Cellar and had it under the seat. I was on my way in about 20 minutes.

The press fit of the pins isn't strong enough to hold them in place. Either stake the pump body next to the pin to hold it tighter or get a pin like Don shows. You could also check with Auto Parts Cellar as their fuel pump rebuild kits have pins with circlips to keep them in place. The pump that I rebuilt with their kit is running without issue to this day. The one that failed is now rebuilt with a kit from them and resides under the seat... just in case.

Merle

Edited by Merle Coggins
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Don Coatney said:

This pin is available from McMaster Carr. If the photo does not open click on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v65/DonCoatney/Brakes/92735a250p1-b02s.png[/IMG]

Thank you.  I was trying to figure out if I could put a pin fit shank bolt and nut on it.  I was planning to just repair the pump I took off as it is less than a year old, and obviously a design flaw.  It was just a little embarrassing as this is the third time I've seen this girl, and I'm pretty new again at the dating thing.  But I guess I'm proving my chops as being able to fix things :)

• Like 1

I may add if she is a keeper- start teaching her how to change a fuel pump and even may open the top of the carb.? Wishful thinking! :rolleyes:

DJ

• Like 1

Cheer up! You know what they say,any road trip that doesn't result in mass murder followed by suicide was a successful road trip.

• Like 2

I had the fuel pump problem tears ago and used an Allen head screw with a long shoulder on it that fit the pin hole. I put a washer and locknut on it. Never had another problem with it. I can't remember the size of the bolt that I got at the local hardware. JohnS

Be comforted and proud.  Not everybody can drive an old car but very few people can fix a new one.  dp