Axle ID

I am in need of a front axle for molly, I found a home made utility trailer with a axle that I believe is a dodge.

It does have lug bolts instead of lug nuts, backing plates look like dodge, wheel bolt pattern is 5 on 4-1/2", it measures just under 51" from backing plate to backing plate.

I think it is 1 - 2" inches narrower then the pilot house axle, 1947 or earlier? problem is that molly's wheels are pigeon toed and hard to measure. Next step is to just pull the axle on molly and set them side by side.

only pictures I have right now.

IMG_20161019_143858422.jpg

IMG_20161019_143910959.jpg

Think I will give it a try. I measured the other truck today and it is 52" from backing plate to backing plate.

This axle is 51", I figure is close enough  ;)

Problem with the one on the truck, it is bent. So I looked at the axle on the other truck, it is bent.

Starting to wonder if this is a common issue, or do they come pre bent from the factory?

The one on the utility trailer is straight. I paid $20 for it thinking that might be able to save a brake drum or 2.

Here is a photo of the one on the truck now.

IMG_20161024_140804031.jpg

IMG_20161024_140825893_HDR.jpg

Its hard to tell from the pictures, but the axles are not straight originally. They loop around the oil pan a bit. Looking at the spindles and the spring mounting pads, that looks Dodge to me. I will look and see if I have a pic of the factory axle that shows the bends or curves.

Edited by 59bisquik

If you get a chance sometime it would be great.

Last time we moved it before it was mine, uncle drug her uphill with a flat tire, bent the drag link.

So that is why the tires are pigeon toed. Then I got it jacked up and looked under there and saw the axle bent ????

Then I looked at the other truck and saw it was bent. But you are correct, looks like it would be for the oil pan to clear.

I have never seen a straight axle hat was not straight .... learn something new every day  :D

Ok, not the greatest photos... I found that when she sits as low as mine does, taking pictures of stuff underneath can be a real PITA!

In this photo notice the axle curve in relation to the tie rod to see the amount of curve or bend.

IMG_0497_zpsuasoqxvu.jpg

This photo shows the front view, you can kinda see how it curves back from each spring pad.

IMG_0512_zpsgf599ct7.jpg

Edited by 59bisquik

You been laying under your truck eating cookies again?  :lol:

Thanks for the photos, it shows me that dodge was creative on the front axles. Yours also step up on the ends, where mine just goes flat all the way across.

Mine looks like I was driving in a field, and hit a stump dead center at 30 mph.  But I have 2 trucks and both are identical in the axle.

As if they both hit the same stump.

I think I will just fix the drag link for now.

What is wrong with your axle that it needs to be replaced? Or did you just figure out that it is OK and the bend in the middle is normal?

If the toe is off you need to adjust the tie rod, not the drag link. Oh... and the drag link should be bent too, but the tie rod should be straight.

• Like 1

Merle is quite correct. The real clue is that you have two axles that have that same bend. No way that would ever happen by accident. Bent tie rod sure......bent axle? No way........the force required to bend it that much would have resulted in some horrific frame and suspension damage.
Might be a good time to look through the repair and parts manuals to help understand how these trucks were built. I am sure there are lots of body off photos here as well that might be helpfu to look throughl.

Jeff

3 hours ago, Los_Control said:

Thanks for the photos, it shows me that dodge was creative on the front axles. Yours also step up on the ends, where mine just goes flat all the way across.

Here is what a 54+ front axle looks like in regards to stepping up after the spring pads. The bottom one is stock and the top one has been modified by Sids. You can also see a bit of the curve in the center section too.

Axle%20Before%20and%20After_zpsaz3q11ba.

Edited by 59bisquik

On 10/25/2016 at 9:14 AM, Merle Coggins said:

and the drag link should be bent too, but the tie rod should be straight.

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I did some reading last night. I see that I got the drag link and tie rod mixed up.

It is the tie rod that is bent and will need to replace it, not sure if there would be a good way to straighten it, and keep it straight after it has been bent.

• 4 weeks later...

I straightened my tie rod several years ago and it has stayed straight . I put it in the vise and pulled it straight . My work bench is fastened to the wall so there was no movement there when I pulled on the tie rod . Sometimes you might need a pipe as a cheater bar for leverage . On the other hand , a guy told me that once they are bent , they will bend again. But he was a Ford guy . The Ford guy's solution was to weld a long piece of angle iron to the tie rod . 

Edited by Jerry Roberts

I too had a bent tie rod... I didnt bother trying to straighten it and dont care for the pinch style thread locks that are used either. I just made a new tie rod. I get all my stuff from RuffStuffSpecialties and made it with nice weld in bungs and DOM tubing... maybe just a tad bit stronger than stock.

Tie Rods 2.JPG

Those look good also, nice job. I have a spare on the parts truck , so will just swap it over for now.

I use to own a 1959 GMC panel truck, many years ago when was 20 years old. While pretending it was a 4x4 I bent the tie rod on it.

I straightened it out while it was still on the truck, so could drive it home. I think used a bottle jack and scrap wood or something.

But it drove fine and lasted awhile. then one day bump the curb while parking and it would bend again, fix and repeat..

Amazing we are still alive, with some of the hokey repairs we did on our bikes and cars when 20 years old  :P