1947 d-24 paint code

Dogg_tired

I love "survivor cars" best of all. They come complete with someone's memories.

It's yours to do with as you wish and I am not about to criticize you if you repaint it,but if the rest looks as good as what I can see,I'd leave it as it is and enjoy it.

There is a paint chart in the reference section of this site, but you may need to use the Plymouth colors, as the hood shown in the pic is not a D24

Edit:http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/reference/p15_reference.html/          PLYM

http://p15-d24.com/page/p15d24/reference/d24_reference_.html/         Dodge

Edited by _shel_ny
add link to "resources" page

getting a match is just as you state, close is going to be as good as it gets due mainly to the formula of paint has changed since this car was factory...find a nice preserved section of paint not normally exposed to elements and particularly the sun, clean and buff a bit and compare with that....most all paint stores have color chips from many years with a small oval in the center for overlaying and checking for closest match....an overall paint job in good close color is going to look great I assure you...good luck....get some color on that baby...

"Fortress Gray", code 508.  Our 48 D24 was originally the same color.  Find a NAPA that does paint, give them the vehicle info and paint code, and they'll mix it.  That's who did the paint for my last two projects, no issues at all.  They'll even put it in a rattle can for touch-ups of you want.  Any reputable automotive paint store can match original paint codes for any manufacturer, you don't have to settle for "close" any more. 

If that car is a Dodge then it is a D25 .  Canadian paint colours do not always match  those used in the USA.  The paint code on a Canadian car may be found on an aluminum tag on the firewall but it is no longer possible to get the pigments to get an exact match.

What you can do is take the car to a paint supplier and have them photograph the colour and their computer will come up with a formula.

Since the colour of your car is pretty simple  you might buy some black and white and mix about 1/3 black with 2/3 white then add a very small amount of yellow or orange to get the earth tone of your car.  If you want a steely gray then add blue.  I have matched this particular colour exactly and painted half a fender so it can be done.

3 hours ago, Dan Hiebert said:

"Fortress Gray", code 508.  Our 48 D24 was originally the same color.  Find a NAPA that does paint, give them the vehicle info and paint code, and they'll mix it.  That's who did the paint for my last two projects, no issues at all.  They'll even put it in a rattle can for touch-ups of you want.  Any reputable automotive paint store can match original paint codes for any manufacturer, you don't have to settle for "close" any more. 

not to argue but as stated..it will be close....the modern paint formula will not allow a 100% spot on match, glass may be one of the more noticeable points of interest....you may wish to call a few paint distributors and get the skinny.   I have talked to DuPont, PPG and BASF headquarters on the subject and quote their technical department reply to the exact inquiry pertaining to matching old paint colors..it will be close enough that most will never notice....as for rattle can, while convenient, it is not near the grade paint one would want as it is not a catalyzed mixture... 

Catalized primer is available in rattle cans and some stores can fill rattle cans.  Push button on the bottom of the can to break a seal, shake well and spray.  Axalta has rattle cans that contain a catalyst, just heard about them, but not all stores have the capability to fill them or non catalized rattle cans as well.    Our sister store can and has mixed the non catalized cans for us but have not yet acquired the catalized ones.

Axalta can get you a close match and will tell you how close to accurate they come and don't take a paint camera's word for it being accurate.  It may be close and need to be adjusted a bit or it may be not so close and you need to start over, whatever, just be sure to open the can and compare before you spray it.  Overalls aren't as critical as repairs to existing.

now Dave.....tell the folks the good news...just how much is that specialized rattle can cost.....I have seen these and I think my first exposure was with Killer Chrome clear coat by Alsa.....economical..it is not....shelf life when mixed....it has little....if you do not use the entire can when you pop the internal canister then the chemical reaction that takes will set the paint inside the can...you can slow it down by placing in a freezer but even at that...time is not on your side..it will set...

Absolutely correct on all accounts.  The Preval sprayers are a better bargain, lets you spray enamels, urethanes, base/clears or primers.  Just keep it clean and get more propellant when needed.

As dpollo mentioned the paint code no. can be found on a tag on the firewall. This chart lists the paint codes for Canadian built Chrysler cars....

Chrysler Canada Paint Codes.jpg