Amazing

NiftyFifty

I know it's not quite of our vintage, but I went to an auction today and watched a 1967 Dodge D100 slant 6, 3 on tree (39,000 miles) that was barn fresh and in pretty mint shape sell for $25,000...yes $25,000 and the motor was even stuck...and the boards in the box painted.

I just couldn't believe my eyes, it just rocketed up to $15,000 and still only took another minute or so to hit $25,000 where it stopped....I guess it goes to show that the Dodge trucks are picking up some steam and value...but I don't see many PH's hitting those values

Heres the listing : http://www.mackauctioncompany.com/16oct21/34.html

The gas tank was full of pot.

• Like 1

On a related note, I saw a 53 B4B with a fresh coat of paint and a regular, nothing spectacular, restore on CL. But it was a nice, running truck. 

I was talking to a guy about it and he said he happened to be at a local car auction and that truck went through. He said the owner turned down an $18,500 bid.

I don't know if that means he just loved the truck that much or he thought he could get more. If he's running it through an auction, I'm inclined to think he thought it was worth more.

Edited by ssnowden

I know I have been watching Pilothouse prices a lot closer in the last 6 months or so (I'm looking for a good one to update into a new long distance daily driver). I have seen prices all over the map. Just this morning I saw what I would probably be a perfect truck for my purposes (about $8K truck compared to most) Listed for $29K.... He was basing his price on NADA values (I think, its in the ad) that show these trucks selling for a minimum of $13K to a top of $54K.

Perhaps not the case here, but I have attended estate auctions where items have sold for unreasonably high prices. The only way I could figure why, was maybe a couple of family members were interested in the same item - Provides a better commission for the auctioneer and entertainment for those in attendance.:)   

Edited by Ralph D25cpe

Well at this same auction, just minutes before, a 1984 S15 gmc short box, 2.8L 4 speed that also hadn't run for 16 years, and wasn't running that day sold for $4000.....yes it was in great shape, but the insurance value is likely a $1000 on it.....it was just a crazy auction all together.

as P T Barnum reputed to have said, "a sucker is born every minute" and it would appear some of the off spring were at that auction.

Geesh that truck wasn't even a Fargo......insane what somebody paid for that thing LMAO

Edited by Rockwood

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

as P T Barnum reputed to have said, "a sucker is born every minute" and it would appear some of the off spring were at that auction.

Geesh that truck wasn't even a Fargo......insane what somebody paid for that thing LMAO

On the other hand where would you find another truck in that condition? Obviously more than one person thought it was worth it. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

On the other hand where would you find another truck in that condition? Obviously more than one person thought it was worth it. 

For an S15 without a T5, think they might be some buyers remorse...............LMAO

10 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I agree I was referring to the Dodge!

I was referring to the GM  truck,  the 67 Dodge, but it ain't a Fargo either, nice truck though, again a bit pricey IMO, but opinions are like "A s" everyone has one....

Edited by Rockwood

Another thing to consider is the Bakken oil boom in recent years has probably left quite a few with some play money and as Estevan is situated on the border with North Dakota, that coupled with the depressed Canadian vs US dollar might account for the crazy prices at the auction..

13 hours ago, Young Ed said:

Good point......and all it really takes. And if the overall condition was pretty good it may have been right in the buyers comfort zone. Also we all have those things which tug at us. A favorite year or model ? Probably a combination of all this. Hard to say what goes through other peoples minds on something like this. Sometimes there is a perception of rarity or value associated with a car or truck that drives the numbers up. One thing is certain.......at that sale price there isn't much of a possibility of flipping it for a profit.

Jeff

5 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

Good point......and all it really takes. And if the overall condition was pretty good it may have been right in the buyers comfort zone. Also we all have those things which tug at us. A favorite year or model ? Probably a combination of all this. Hard to say what goes through other peoples minds on something like this. Sometimes there is a perception of rarity or value associated with a car or truck that drives the numbers up. One thing is certain.......at that sale price there isn't much of a possibility of flipping it for a profit.

Jeff

Ya no kidding, flip that for profit, not likely for some time.

I do not think the truck was worth 25 grand, just my opinion, and would not pay that much even if it look like it rolled off the assembly line.

I would say 10-15 k, range, not 25k

Yes the year and model, sentimental reasons love for that model etc, it wasn't even a short box with a V8.

I will give praise where it's due, this truck was in very nice survivor condition, that is a for sure.

The price guide I looked up showed 16.2 for #2 condition and 23K for #1. This truck is certainly not #1 as presented but with low original miles and good condition it shouldn't be hard to get it there.

36 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

The price guide I looked up showed 16.2 for #2 condition and 23K for #1. This truck is certainly not #1 as presented but with low original miles and good condition it shouldn't be hard to get it there.

Well yes, which Guide? NADA over inflated, these are prices in USD correct?

I would think this is a #2 truck, once cleaned up, a #1 should be flawless, this truck is not that specimen most likely.

So 10-15 k might be on the money for this truck.

Auctions can drive up prices to the max....

15 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Well yes, which Guide? NADA over inflated, these are prices in USD correct?

I would think this is a #2 truck, once cleaned up, a #1 should be flawless, this truck is not that specimen most likely.

So 10-15 k might be on the money for this truck.

Auctions can drive up prices to the max....

I looked at the one on Hagerty's site. Not sure where they get the data. There is a lot of popularity these days around low mileage and original paint etc. All that stuff drives the price. Add to that the fact that most trucks were worked into the ground and I can see this happening.

1 hour ago, Young Ed said:

I looked at the one on Hagerty's site. Not sure where they get the data. There is a lot of popularity these days around low mileage and original paint etc. All that stuff drives the price. Add to that the fact that most trucks were worked into the ground and I can see this happening.

Not that I want to encourage "poaching" of our survivor vehicles here in Canada by our southern neighbours, but $25000 Canadian is about $18700 USD at current exchange rates ..:mellow:.

• Like 1