brake light or brake lights?

killbill

Howdy,

I haven't had my 47 Special Deluxe for that long, I'm normally a VW Bus guy...  Is it normal that only the trunk light illuminates when the brakes are pressed??

The left/right lights are on(when the headlights are on) but only the trunk light lights up when I push the brake...  I just replaced the Brake light Switch, but haven't checked the bulbs(left/right) to see if they are single or dual element.

Thanks!

That vintage will only have the central brake light on the trunk. Corner lights are single element running lights.

I have made my 41 into a 3 brake light system adding brakes lights to corners as well. I plan on doing the same to my 49.

Edited by 1949 Goat

A good compromise would be if the L/R rear lights have dual element connectors, then replacing the globes with dual elements and wiring them to the brake light circuit would give you lots of brake lights at the back.

If your car has turn indicators, the sockets at the corners probably have already have been converted to dual element for turn indicator lights and running lights.

• Like 1

I went to the home and garden section of Lowes and got a 12 volt 50 watt Halogen for my trunk mounted brake light ...quite visible to say the least...they actually make halogens in the 1157 bayonet....twin bulbs..be sure you take in account for the added wattage and adjust your fuse for proper current...