Plymouth 217 freeze plugs

Kool48

I'm in the process of changing my freeze plugs on my 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe.   I believe this is the 217 engine ?   My question is.  I got the 2 bottom plugs out no biggie.    But I started to drill a hole in the top plug to left , it just didn't seem right so I didn't drill through.   Look like iron chips not steel.    Was there any of theses blocks where the castings had the bosses for plugs but the only used the bottom 2 on th drivers side ?    I don't wanna drill a hole in the block itself.     So I'm gonna install my new Dorman copper freeze plugs in the bottom 2.   I don't wanna start reassembling until I get some answers regarding the top 3.   It's very hard to tell that there is a plug.   It looks really smooth like one casting (block).    ....    Thanks 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

They look like freeze plugs to me. Instead of trying to pull them out past decades of paint and rust,why not take a punch to the lip on one side and try to knock it back in on that side? MUCH easier to apply force and you get the same results because when you knock one side in the other side comes out and you can grab it with vise grips and pull it out then.

Just make sure the punch you are using is an actual punch with a flat face. Try to find one that has a curvature close to the curvature of the freeze plug for maximum impact.

Anyhow,that's what has worked best for me in the past.

I was just looking at a motor of mine the other day, I was told that it had been rebuilt, but sadly was stored for many years with the head off.

But the freeze plugs did not have any paint on them, was obvious they were freeze plugs and the same as the photo you showed.

Probably just old and rusty, and is what you are seeing as you drill them out.

Those are in the same position as the core/welch/freeze plugs on my older engine.

My way to take them out is to use a screw drill to put a self-drilling, self-tapping screw in the middle leaving the head proud of the surface. Then the claw on a carpenter's hammer can be used to pull them out. Only did the job once and only on one engine but it was quick and easy.

• Like 1

Thanks to all the replies on this matter.   I don't have a problem getting them out.   I simply drill a small hole run a screw into it and pull out with a wonder bar.   Works very easily , my question was did they ever not machine the top 3 for any odd reason.    It's dark and cold now.   But tomorrow I'll give another look.      I'd like to believe they are plugs in there.  I can't see a reason why they wouldn't have machined all 5 on the side.   But anyways.  I just didn't wanna drill into the iron block , if they hadn't been machined and plugs there .   I let ya know what I find tomorrow.    Thanks again.   As far as flushing.   It needs it bad.  I was told it had a fresh rebuild when I got about 3/4 months ago.   Lol no way has it been.   Behind plugs , it's full of black crud.  It's pretty bad.   Car ran good no overheating issues .  But I know it needs a good flushing.  It actually need to be hot tanked.   Flushing isn't going to remove this stuff.   It's caked in there.    I cleaned the best I could and as far as I could which isn't far.     But for now , I'll get the new plugs in it , probably cycle the antifreeze trough a few times.   It's got a new  radiator so I don't wanna plug it up.  I learned on my 49 years ago.   Put a woman's pantie hose in the neck of the top  radiator and check it often.  It'll catch most of anything that breaks lose in there.     Thanks for the replies 

26 minutes ago, _shel_ny said:

I found this behind one of my freeze plugs.

ufo 1.jpg

Ya I was scooping what looked and felt like almost dry mud out from behind mine.    I get her cleaned the best I can.   Few flushes , hopefully it'll help.   Can't hurt. 

3 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

They look like freeze plugs to me. Instead of trying to pull them out past decades of paint and rust,why not take a punch to the lip on one side and try to knock it back in on that side? MUCH easier to apply force and you get the same results because when you knock one side in the other side comes out and you can grab it with vise grips and pull it out then.

Just make sure the punch you are using is an actual punch with a flat face. Try to find one that has a curvature close to the curvature of the freeze plug for maximum impact.

Anyhow,that's what has worked best for me in the past.

knuckle, not sure if you have looked at the block casting holes close..they are not smooth bore like late models using cup style inserts...these are disc style..they actually fit inside the hole opening BUT lay against a lip that is the block...stepped opening if you will....punch with force here could get you in deep trouble quick.......

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

knuckle, not sure if you have looked at the block casting holes close..they are not smooth bore like late models using cup style inserts...these are disc style..they actually fit inside the hole opening BUT lay against a lip that is the block...stepped opening if you will....punch with force here could get you in deep trouble quick.......

Agreed.   There is a counter bore for the plug to seat against.   You could easily bust that cast iron shoulder.   Then hmmmmm mmmmmm.  Good point Plymouth Adams 

7 minutes ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

YIKES! Thanks for the heads up on this because that is for sure what I would have done if I had of had to replace any of mine,

Hey Kool48

I try to answer your question "did they ever not machine the top 3 for any odd reason" from the technical aspect.

The question is: Why are freeze plugs needed ?

When producing a cast part like a water cooled crankcase, a mould made of (special) sand is used in the foundry. The single sand pieces / cores have to be held in place until the melted iron is poured into the mould hollow. Therefor core supports are needed which creates openings into the casting. The openings have to be closed afterwards with freeze plugs.

Please find attached a scetch which might help to understand what I have tried to explain above.

So in my opinion it is pretty unlikely that there are crankcases which have unmachined freeze plug seats at any position.crankcase_plug.JPG

Best regards, Jan

Edited by PT81Jan
  • Like 1

Get the brass freeze or welch plugs the brass is more but the galvanized evenutall rust the brass is better and get the flat plugs the the lipped plugs the lipped plugs are not correct.  The expandable plug canbe used but is not correct these are used in an emergency situation and then replaced witht he correct plugs.

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

be aware that the expandable plug (emergency limp in device) as found at the big box store best serves it purpose on the flathead by slicing it carefully into two halves..there is precious little room between the core opening and the inner block making the original thickness just too great...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

3 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Get the brass freeze or welch plugs the brass is more but the galvanized evenutall rust the brass is better and get the flat plugs the the lipped plugs the lipped plugs are not correct.  The expandable plug canbe used but is not correct these are used in an emergency situation and then replaced witht he correct plugs.

Rich Hartung

Thank you. I did not know that? Where do you buy the original freeze plugs?

Take your pick....

Soft Plugs Flathead  (3).JPG

• Like 3

Rich is correct, ideally get the BRASS plugs........hose & clean out the water jacket as much as possible and unless you expect to either pull the engine apart again or have cooling issues then use the brass plugs......you'll never have to redo them again due to rustout...........andyd   

20 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Take your pick....

Soft Plugs Flathead  (3).JPG

I used the lower left copper,. Dorman 568-010 plugs.    Works great. 

Edited by Kool48
Copper not brass