Keeping it in the family

belvedere666

I finally got my hands on my uncles car. It's a 1950 Plymouth Special Deluxe.

He got the car from my great grandfather in 1988.

ive been trying to buy it from him since.

i sold off my 67 Belvedere , theee years ago and got my hands on a 50 special deluxe since I couldn't have his.

he ended up giving it to his sons about two years ago and they couldn't do anything with it.

in fact, neither one of them had ever put their hands inside an old car, much less an old mopar.

they finally let me get my grubby hands on it.

it took a carb rebuild and a fuel pump replacement but I got it running in a matter of hours.

New wheels, brake job and floor repair are first on the list.

old original rims aren't holding air with a radial.

probably going with an unpainted smoothie that will painted to match the roof, when it's done.

IMG_9476.JPG

• Like 3

Congratulations.   These are my favorite cars with a beautiful dashboard. I have never been without a 50 Plymouth since 1965.  Your car has one of the few visors that was actually made to fit this body rather than the universal type.

There is no reason why the original rims will not hold air with tubeless tires.  Best to use the brass valve stems since for some demented reason the valve holes in the wheels are oval.  The brass stems also keep the wheel covers from creeping. The paint on your left front fender looks like somebody spilled battery acid on it but I see no rust-out and the bumpers and stainless trim are all in good shape.

• Like 1

Never thought about the  battery acid thing! You're right.

there isn't much rust out on the body. A few small patches.... but the floors and inner rockers..... ALL RUST.

local wheel shop told me that there's a chance they're losing air through the rivets on the inside or something. It's alright though. I was hoping to run the original dog dish caps but it's not the end of the world.

the stainless is all there but some of it's pretty dented up, up close.

the dash is the original wood grain. I love it. It's gone dull though. I need to figure out a way to get the old luster back without ruining it.

i was looking at a 49 a few years back before I picked up the other 50 and it had the most beautiful dash I have seen to this day. All original untouched. The chrome was perfect. The wood grain was shiny...

when I got the 50 I removed the tan paint to find that it had a layer of green underneath, and then the wood grain under that. There was no way to save it.

i really like the look of that visor too. I feel like the Fulton, adjustable style looks awkward and BIG. This is the right one for the car.