1954 331 hemi in a 1946 P15 Coupe

Blvd_cruiser

I have a chance to get my hands on an old hemi that has been rebuilt. I want to put in my 46 . Problem is does anyone know of a plate which would let me use my exsiting 3 speed trans as the hemi has no trans with it. I think it would be my only stopping point. I think it would be a cool swap.Any input would be welcome.

Thanks

There are plenty of adapters for the 'normal' block but for modern transmissions. There are some oem manual bells used up to 1960 that are bolt-up but for the same years trans. Some of the 56-60 bells have both the L6 and V8 block patterns and with some minor work will accept the A-833.  It may be possible, never say "never" with MaMopar, that a 53-55 bell could be made to work with the 46 trans but 'you' would need to have all of the parts/pieces on the floor in front of you to see what the differences are. Also, keep in mind that all of the V8 engines up to 1962,(excludes the 51-53 331 Hemi) (excludes the B-RB), have the same bell pattern.

The 46 trans problem remains so I'd start looking at alternatives....it will not live long.

23 hours ago, Blvd_cruiser said:

Was also thinking 5 speed trans..maybe mopar or s-10

Look around for the AX15 used in Dakotas, Jeeps and Ram1500. Plenty stout!

I have some info on my web pages that should help.

• 4 weeks later...

Steve Frisbie of Steve’s Auto Restorations (SAR) in Portland, Oregon, put a ’55 Dodge hemi in a ’48 Plymouth Club Coupe. He used a Borg-Warner t-5 transmission out of a Chevy S-10 with an adaptor. The original Plymouth transmission cannot take the torque of the V8 engine. You might consider contacting him for details about this.

Thx.