"0 to 60 MPH" and/or 1/4 Mile ET

55 Fargo

Okay here is your chance, get out the I phones and do a "0 to 60 MPH" time and /or a 1/4 mile ET.

Post on here your results, mine aren't that fast, faster now with dual/duals. 3.23 gears keep me a little slower off the line and getting into the powerband in 4th gear, until the RPMs come up a bit.

So how fast or slow are you, and what are you running.

This is to be a fun thread, and of course fun ride, if not interested thats okay, just drive on by and leave this to the speedsters......

Start a thread asking about 1/4 mile and 0 to 60 MPH times and don’t actually post yours?

With my dead stock '33 Plymouth two door sedan (190 cu. in. engine, non-synchronized transmission, 4.375 rear end and stock size tires) and running a GPS based performance measurement app on my Android phone I get a range of measurements from run to run. Or at least I did as the last time I did this was well over a year ago. Average for 1/4 mile is 25 seconds and 55 MPH. Zero to sixty times average just under 40 seconds.

I strongly suspect my carburetor needs rebuilding and maybe that would help the above. The early ('33 and '34) Carter B&B carbs are not quite the same as later ones and a bit harder to get parts for and the car runs well enough for me so it is what it is.

42 minutes ago, TodFitch said:

Start a thread asking about 1/4 mile and 0 to 60 MPH times and don’t actually post yours?

With my dead stock '33 Plymouth two door sedan (190 cu. in. engine, non-synchronized transmission, 4.375 rear end and stock size tires) and running a GPS based performance measurement app on my Android phone I get a range of measurements from run to run. Or at least I did as the last time I did this was well over a year ago. Average for 1/4 mile is 25 seconds and 55 MPH. Zero to sixty times average just under 40 seconds.

I strongly suspect my carburetor needs rebuilding and maybe that would help the above. The early ('33 an d '34) Carter B&B carbs are not quite the same as later ones and a bit harder to get parts for and the car runs well enough for me so it is what it is.

Well Tod, yes I did omit my times, about 22 seconds to 60 mph, no 1/4 mile stats.

Edited by Rockwood

Took my 1940 plymouth, stock '55 230, R10, and 3.73 to a local top-the-cops evening several years ago at the raceway, ran pretty consistent 1/4 in 20~seconds or 65-70mph. I'd spilt 2nd with the od, was a stupid thing to do and I'm lucky I didn't make a fool out of myself and leave pieces everywhere. I did not top the cop....

At the HAMB drags in 2013, I ran my Model A sedan with a cammed 218, two B&Bs, open headers, three speed, and 4.10 gears.  Best time was 18.5 at 76mph.  It was not pulling like I thought it should.  I had to shift at 32-3300RPM.  When I got it back home, found out that the linkage was binding/sticking and was not going past 2/3 throttle!  I was disappointed with the time, I wanted to get into the 17's, and I really think it would have done it.  After fixed it was pulling through 4500RPM!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moose said:

At the HAMB drags in 2013, I ran my Model A sedan with a cammed 218, two B&Bs, open headers, three speed, and 4.10 gears.  Best time was 18.5 at 76mph.  It was not pulling like I thought it should.  I had to shift at 32-3300RPM.  When I got it back home, found out that the linkage was binding/sticking and was not going past 2/3 throttle!  I was disappointed with the time, I wanted to get into the 17's, and I really think it would have done it.  After fixed it was pulling through 4500RPM!

Thats fairly quick Moose, and with your throttle sticking, you could have done much better.

My Fargo, while not a heavy vehicle, well not super heavy seems on the slow side, the dual carbs and exhaust did pick things up, but my 228 engine, is a bit tired too.

I figure my new engine, a 265 with a mild cam grind, more compression should deliver a lot more.

How much does the A model weigh?

I am running 3.23 gears, and while this is nice at speed, it is not the greatest to get to speed...

Edited by Rockwood

1/4 mile 21 seconds,approximately 63 mph but this is about 2-3 seconds better than before the dual carbs and exhaust change.

Thats with 3.23 gears, and a stock 100 hp 228 engine with dual carbs and exhaust, older not rebuilt engine.

Many years ago I had a 55 Plymouth 6 with a Powerflite. Ran it maybe 20 times down the track, about 21 seconds at about 61-62 mph. Tried all sorts of stuff - messing with the timing, shifting earlier or later, even loosened the fan belt so it would hardly turn the generator. Never noticed a change. Only problem was, I forgot to tighten the belt back up and the  battery went dead before I got home. Fortunately, that was when they still had rear pumps and you could push start them. Got a couple more guys to help push, dropped it in gear and I was off again.

21 hours ago, Rockwood said:

How much does the A model weigh?

I weighed it at the dump a few years ago, and it was 2500# with me in it.  I put probably 40,000 miles on that motor in two different cars before I sold it along with that model A, a year ago.  It ran good, but it already had lost some pep by the time I raced it.

3 hours ago, moose said:

I weighed it at the dump a few years ago, and it was 2500# with me in it.  I put probably 40,000 miles on that motor in two different cars before I sold it along with that model A, a year ago.  It ran good, but it already had lost some pep by the time I raced it.

Yes they can run good, have good oil pressure but lose pep.

My engine, great oil pressure, but compression on last test around 100 across the board, no doubt she is down on power and mileage and history unknown before I got the engine...

Those with fresh rebuilds or new rings and valve jobs, do you notice a dramatic change in power?

Member Mark Aubuchon ran his dual carb, dual exhaust 49 business coupe at the Mopar Nationals a few years back.  He showed me a timing slip that recorded a run of 19.9 at 67 mph.(or very close as memory provides)  It seems in line with others have posted.  Now these days you can spend $70K on a new 700 HP Challenger Hellcat and trim a whole 8 seconds of times posted on this thread. Seems like a whole lot for so little time.....

Edited by greg g
  • Like 1

I wonder which is quicker, my 1965 Karmann Ghia, with 40 hp and 1800 lb or my 103 hp Dodge at 3500 lb? 

Ghia should take it outta the hole but past 35 -40, who knows?

3 hours ago, meadowbrook said:

I wonder which is quicker, my 1965 Karmann Ghia, with 40 hp and 1800 lb or my 103 hp Dodge at 3500 lb? 

Ghia should take it outta the hole but past 35 -40, who knows?

Only 1 way to find out ....LOL they seem evenly matched, that VW engine can most likely rev a bit higher, it is rated at 0-100kmh or 62 mph in 26 seconds

Edited by Rockwood

Four of us UK-based Plymouth owners are planning to race our cars at this new event in April, so we should be able to add some more information to the mix.
We'll be competing in the same class as the flathead V8 powered full-bodied cars, so that'll be interesting, too.

The photo of the two Plymouths shows Chris and Dean racing over 1/8th mile at ATOMIC Vintage Festival.

Vintage Nationals A3 2017.jpg

Plymouths at ATOMIC.jpg

Edited by Robin (UK)
  • Like 2