B1FA or B1HA

I am new to the Pilothouse trucks and have just picked up a 1948 1 1/2 ton B1. The wonderful people at the DMV removed the original data plate to assign a state specific vehicle ID #. I have found the serial # on the frame, as well as the engineering code. Now I need to figure out if this truck is a B1FA or B1HA. Anybody able to help me with this? Thank you

20161015_150831.jpg

That's a real shame you did that as there are ways of working around them taking your data plate.  I see you have California plates.  I went to a private entity to have my vin inspected and get a title.  The vin on the previous owners title was only matching the engine block which looks like either Forest or Jethrow stamped it in.  I'm certain my engine is not original.  Anyway they were able to issue me a title with the numbers from my cab data plate that matched the frame serial number in all of 2 weeks which is near unheard of in this state.  Is DMV going to return your data plate?  I have heard of another owner of a 1949 truck that took his in to get it titled and registered, they removed his data plate and issued his title as a 2016 model year.  That just doesn't seem right to me.

don't know if it'll help or not but, have you looked at http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/1949_HH_HHM/imgcol/index.htm

and we will need more photo's please :D

Ah Ha!! I see the confusion now. Apparently Dodge used the same serial number ranges for both model designations. They are both 1-1/2 ton models, but the H has a higher GVW. (13,500 for F and FA, 16,000 for H and HA)

I found this in the DEPTCA site http://dodgepilothouseclub.org/know/salesmans_models/imgcol/index.htm It shows many specs between the models. A quick look through shows the F and FA models had 8 leaf springs up front and 8 at the rear, whereas the H & HA would have 9 up front and 11 out back.

Good luck in your research.

Thanks all for the help. I know it is an A, as it does have the 2 speed rear end. I will count the springs tomorrow. I will be posting more photos soon. I have gotten some great info on this blog and the DEPTCA sight for both this truck and my '47 WF.