E-Brake Handle

The grease in my pull-type emergency brake has solidified, disabling the ratcheting mechanism. I would like to take it off, clean it up, and regrease it. Is there a way to pull the rod out of the tube without removing the whole fixture from under the dash? There is a pin in the rod that moves in a slot, disallowing the removal of the rod from the tube. The pin doesn't seem to be removable either.

Maybe pulling the handle out and applying Marvel Mystery Oil to the shaft, then let sit for a days and repeat a few times, might free things up...I had the thumb button get stuck on the '49 floor lever and tried this approach... within a week, it was working fine, and no disassembly was required :cool:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JBNeal said:

Maybe pulling the handle out and applying Marvel Mystery Oil to the shaft, then let sit for a days and repeat a few times, might free things up...I had the thumb button get stuck on the '49 floor lever and tried this approach... within a week, it was working fine, and no disassembly was required :cool:

This grease is basically solidified. I had to use a screwdriver to chisel out what i could reach. Also, the grooved rod doesn't pull out far enough to get to all the grooves.

MMO can soften grease to make it lubricate again, I have used it many times to free up frozen lock cylinders, ratcheting mechanism, sheaves...it takes several days of applying MMO and letting it soak in, applying some force to get the parts moving a little, reapplying MMO working the parts some more and waiting, then repeating...it took many years for these things to freeze up, it can take several days to get them to function properly...MMO  and patience goes a long way :cool: 

12 hours ago, Jeff Balazs said:

and a fire extinguisher handy.

Mark; You have to be careful with these kinds of suggestions....Paul probably see's them. ;)Hopefully it is not too late?

Jeff

heat should ALWAYS be supplied judiciously.