Oil float.

Robert Smith

Good morning members.

Long time member, long time no post.

So, full story:

The old '40 Dodge I have was doing great. Everything is more or less fine, but as of a week ago, my fuel pump failed. The pin fell out of the mechanical pump thus, allowing the rocker arm to fall into the pan. Well, decided to drop the pan. A buddy of mine came by and we had all the necessary parts and things to get the job done. Yet, when we did a "test fit" of the pan, wanted to test the best way to fit it back up there… As we were removing it again, to apply the sealer and gasket, the inner shelf of the pan bummed the oil screen pickup float. That was the fatal blow to what turns out to a fairly quick job.

So, I've called Andy Burnbaum, no luck. I called local motor part sources here in Souther CA, like Egge… No dice. No one seems to have this assembly.

What would some of you guys suggest, if I can't find a replacement oil pickup system?

I was looking in my tristate mopar catalog and all I can see listed is the  oil strainer assembly and for all models the 37-40 can type is part number 672484,

1940-52  oil strainer assembly flat type is part number 862831. 

I did a search on ebay and found several of the part number 67248 so not sure what you are looking for. Put a picture of the item and this might help everyone.  I use the can style pickup in my 39 Desoto 

rich Hartung desoto1939@aol.com

18 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

I was looking in my tristate mopar catalog and all I can see listed is the  oil strainer assembly and for all models the 37-40 can type is part number 672484,

1940-52  oil strainer assembly flat type is part number 862831. 

I did a search on ebay and found several of the part number 67248 so not sure what you are looking for. Put a picture of the item and this might help everyone.  I use the can style pickup in my 39 Desoto 

rich Hartung desoto1939@aol.com

Hi DeSoto 1939!

The original motor in my '40 would have had the can style pickup, but that motor was long gone when I bought my '40. It had a 236 S11 flat head six when I bought the car. A few years ago, I replaced that tired motor with a P12 218 from a '41 Plymouth. It had the other float pickup. I'll take a photo or two tonight and post them.

Frank Mitchel is in Georgia. you can look him up on a websearch.  The company was sold but they have a lot of mopar parts because he is a mopar vendor and has been doing it for over 30+ years.  

rich Hartung 

8 hours ago, desoto1939 said:

Frank Mitchel is in Georgia. you can look him up on a websearch.  The company was sold but they have a lot of mopar parts because he is a mopar vendor and has been doing it for over 30+ years.  

rich Hartung 

Frank Mitchell passed away in 2014.

I believe he was working with the new owners.  AMS obselete

They continued to use fmmpar on ebay for selling after the purchase.

3 hours ago, austinsailor said:

Isn't this just a part that could come off most any junk motor? Unless I'm missing something, it should be something many of us should have laying around. 

Saw one of those in my cellar today.

I can also supply the float if you do not get one closer to home.  contact via PM