Hub cap skins

ssdave

I'm guessing this would be a thing best left to people who specialize in doing it.

Did you just get new skins? Where if so?

Maybe Dennis Bickford in New Mexico does this job.

He is a Chrysler T&C parts and restoration guy and deals in parts for the 1946-48 Chryslers... mainly T&C but might be able to help you out.

His Ph #575-443-1160

Rob

8 hours ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

Did you just get new skins? Where if so?

Rob

Rob

I know Andy B does repro hubcaps for plymouth. I don't know what you want them for but maybe they have them. They also go under the name of mopar-direct on ebay.

Pete

I'm looking for the chrysler skins...

What's a hubcap skin?  Is that like a leppo?  What's beneath the hubcap skin?  The PO of my DeSoto suburban mentioned something about the hubcaps for long wheelbase cars being heavier, and something about replacing skins.   But I inquired no further.  Now, inquiring minds need to know.  Photos would be good.  Anyone, anyone?

Edited by DonaldSmith

Thanks, ssdave and Young Ed.  I'm guessing that the skins were sold separately, to refurbish the whole unit?  Let it rust inside, or prime it, and snap on a new skin.  (I've heard somewhere that it takes a bit of skill to do.) I've led a sheltered life.  Never re-skinned a hubcap.

3 hours ago, ssdave said:

Yes, those are the ones. Looking for insight from someone who has done this.

I took a few of the Plymouth ones apart. The tricky part I ran into was getting the skin to stay centered while I tried to crimp it.

2 hours ago, Young Ed said:

I took a few of the Plymouth ones apart. The tricky part I ran into was getting the skin to stay centered while I tried to crimp it.

Maybe a few drops of super glue and a 24hr wait would help with that.

2 hours ago, ssdave said:

Sounds like a plan, I can always use panel bond and let it dry. Pitty the guy who tries to take them apart someday

Just make sure whatever you use is thin otherwise you won't have enough material left to crimp down.

I have redone two sets of '39 Plym hubcaps. Getting the cap 'skins' off of the base cap is a very tedious process, the cap skin is brass with a chrome plating. I very carefully went around the crimped edge with a screw-driver, carefully lifting the edge.
After the cap was off I cleaned the cap base and repainted it with silver paint. Re-installing the cap skin is a slow tedious process, I used a medium size plastic mallet. Holding the cap/skin in my lap, centering same, I carefully bent the skin over the base cap in several places around the edge, making sure the skin was centered on the cap. Once I was sure the cap skin had stayed centered and tight to the base,  I then went around the edge at alternating points with the plastic mallet. The fit of the skin to the cap is very tight, therefore I would not recommend the use of any glue, etc. One of the set of caps I rebuilt I had purchased on eBay, they were new skins that someone had attempted to install over old base caps with silicon glue. I worried the skins off of the base caps and reinstalled them over DCPD cap bases.
A word of caution, the crimped edge of the skin is very thin and narrow, about 1/8" wide. Lifting the crimp does not take much effort,mostly patience, I used a soft rocking motion..

4 hours ago, blucarsdn said:

I have redone two sets of '39 Plym hubcaps. Getting the cap 'skins' off of the base cap is a very tedious process, the cap skin is brass with a chrome plating. I very carefully went around the crimped edge with a screw-driver, carefully lifting the edge.
After the cap was off I cleaned the cap base and repainted it with silver paint. Re-installing the cap skin is a slow tedious process, I used a medium size plastic mallet. Holding the cap/skin in my lap, centering same, I carefully bent the skin over the base cap in several places around the edge, making sure the skin was centered on the cap. Once I was sure the cap skin had stayed centered and tight to the base,  I then went around the edge at alternating points with the plastic mallet. The fit of the skin to the cap is very tight, therefore I would not recommend the use of any glue, etc. One of the set of caps I rebuilt I had purchased on eBay, they were new skins that someone had attempted to install over old base caps with silicon glue. I worried the skins off of the base caps and reinstalled them over DCPD cap bases.
A word of caution, the crimped edge of the skin is very thin and narrow, about 1/8" wide. Lifting the crimp does not take much effort,mostly patience, I used a soft rocking motion..

What did you do to restore the skin?