Vacuum Advance

casper50

Looked in my Autolite catalog under 50 Dodge Car.  The first thing that you need to know is what distributor is used in your car because that determine which Vac Adv you need.

Distributor         Vac Adv  Autolite

igs-4207b-1        vc-3147

iat-4003              iat- 2023rg

iat-4011               iat-2023rg

I have a lisitng that I can scan for you send me you email. I would also look on Ebay you might find an Autolite NOS

Rich Hartung    Desoto1939@aol.com

Edited by desoto1939

That popping could have damaged your vacuum advance diaphragm if it's an on going issue.

1 hour ago, casper50 said:

on the side of my dist

IGS-4207A-1

so according to my autolite catalog Dizzy igs-4207A-1 was used on 1946-48 D25 dodges  the correct Vacumm Advance will be  VC-2082R autolite.

Rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

He (Chris) probably sends them to  Terrell Machine

Hi

I have used a vacuum advance from AB on my P15 which worked perfectly, however if you look at his picture of the advance (which is not very good) what you see is what you get so will need to use some of you original distributor bits.

Pete

I bought a rebuilt from AB this summer for my IGS dist. and it worked like a charm, keep in mind you reuse the internal spring and the shims (washers) from your old unit. Also you have to use a vacuum tester like a mity-vac to determine how many shims you need in your new rebuilt unit. My old unit had 4 shims in it, but I had to drop down to 1 shim to get it the new one to work properly.

My only issue was tool marks/damage to the threaded end of the unit, looked like someone used  vice-grip pliers to remove it, I had to spend some time dressing up the damaged end to get a good seal.

1471702471577.jpg

1471698611515.jpg

20160820_090021[1].jpg

20160820_091026[1].jpg

20160820_091020[1].jpg

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 1

I waited till the new one came and I was glad I did because all you get is what is shown in the close up, you get an empty unit, no spring or shims and no end fitting.

Glad to help, apparently the IGS dist is a pretty rare bird and even the proper cap.rotor and points can be hard to find. I ordered a tune-up kit from AB and they work well but are cheaply made re-pops. The rotor and "two-piece" points look very chinese and the cap seems very light, I chose to not use their points as I still had some NOS points .  But as I said the car runs well.

Edited by linus6948

20 minutes ago, linus6948 said:

Glad to help, apparently the IGS dist is a pretty rare bird and even the proper cap.rotor and points can be hard to find. I ordered a tune-up kit from AB and they work well but are cheaply made re-pops. The rotor and "two-piece" points look very chinese and the cap seems very light, I chose to not use their points as I still had some NOS points .  But as I said the car runs well.

Linus:  The points cap and rotor are very common items and can be found at most swap meets. I the point here is to know what caps, rotors and ppints and condensors cross reference over to the autolite numbers.  This is why I have been collecting and scanning the various other manufacturers information and I have all of this on CD's. I even have a catalog that is a major cross ref to most of the common parts suppliers.

Rich Hartung

desoto1939@aol.com

• Like 1

Thanks Rich, I don`t get to many swap meets nowadays but I have had luck on ebay finding NOS components and I found the right cap on amazon and points from a forklift supplier HGM lift parts inc..

http://store.hgmforkliftparts.com/prestolite_forklift_parts/pligs-2224lb.aspx?afid=1&gclid=CjwKEAjwrvq9BRD5gLyrufTqg0YSJACcuF811HWqnqj52QCLXmcYh4V3sgQtwq_naoXOdRnaIlnKkhoC6G_w_wcB

Edited by linus6948

1 hour ago, linus6948 said:

I bought a rebuilt from AB this summer for my IGS dist. and it worked like a charm, keep in mind you reuse the internal spring and the shims (washers) from your old unit. Also you have to use a vacuum tester like a mity-vac to determine how many shims you need in your new rebuilt unit. My old unit had 4 shims in it, but I had to drop down to 1 shim to get it the new one to work properly.

When using the vacuum pump to determine the number of shims required how did you know only one shim was required? How many inches of mercury are required to start the advance and how many inches of mercury are required to be at full advance?

I went with trial and error Don and my interpretation of the specs found on page 92 of the shop manual. Starting with the 4 shims and applying vacuum and getting no movement.

I then kept reducing the number of shims until I finally got down to 1 shim and started to get movement at 7 1/2 lbs of vacuum and kept getting movement thru 16 lbs of applied vacuum. Now I don`t know if this was the correct way to do it or not, but I am more than pleased with the results and my car is running better than it ever has since I`ve owned the car.

I`ve been using the heck out of it lately to take in the fall color which is peaking in the Mtns. right now

20161014_162350.jpg

Edited by linus6948
  • Like 2