Starting my Engine Rebuild

mlozier76

Okay, so I am in the infancy stages of rebuilding my spare engine.  I am starting with a 230 out of a 1947 or 1948 Dodge 4 door that I acquired a while ago.  I am planning to do some of the hot rod tricks, but am very new to that aspect of wrenching.  I would like to do what I am able to for pride of personal workmanship and cost efficiency, but have no problems sending out for machine work as needed, as I am not able to do that.  I am in the Inland Northwest, Northern Idaho, and am looking for knowledgeable builders in the inline sixes.  My current engine is still running, but sat for over 45 years before I got it running and drove the hell out of it.  She burns oil like nobody's business, and that is the reason I'm needing to build up a replacement.  So far I've only got a Shanafelt dual intake with two Pinto Carbs and have intentions to shave the head, get the cam reground, and complete rebuild on the engine I have started to take apart.  I've looked into Clegg, Vintage Power Wagons, and Egge kits. Are there others that you guys may have ideas on?  This site has provided a wealth of information, and I am forever grateful for whatever help or directions you can send me, as long as its not in a loop :)

Could you possibly tell us more about that Shanafelt dual intake,and maybe even post a few photos? I've never heard of that one.

I have had good luck with Delta Cams in the northwest. Buy rebuilt tappets from them when you buy the cam. Delta is mostly a factory replacement source that rebuilds  worn factory cams back to factory specs,but they will do custom hi-po grinds if that is what you want.

If you want to spent the money for a finned aluminum head or any other flat 6 Mopar speed part,this is the guy to see.

http://www.edgyspeedshop.com/products.html

Other sources have cast iron headers for dual exhausts,or will build a split exhaust for you.

• Like 1

I'll definitely get some pictures of that intake when I get home tonight.  Shanafelt, named after Bill Shanafelt, from what I understand was from the Pacific Northwest and made several different intakes for other engines.  I expect that it is fairly rare.  I had a friend at the Portland Swap meet 2 years ago grab it up for me because I want to build my car up to be like a late 50s to early 60s custom/rod.  The direction is somewhat fluid, but I really want to keep the 6 in it.  I just want to make it a little quicker and give it that "wow, what's that" factor with the hood open.  Dodges are rare in this part of the country, and that's why I like mine.  I have a friend that has 4 or 5 Chevys (coupe, fleetlines, fleetmasters, sedan delivery, convertible)  and don't want to be in the mainstream, and I'm finding that I'm more of a Mopar Man, than had originally thought.  I also have a Studebaker, a 55, that I'm working on.  I like the ones that are a little off the beaten path.  I have a friend that owns Hells Gate Hot Rods in the club I'm in and am going to see if I can get him to waterjet out some exhaust flanges for me, so I can build my own dual exhaust, but need to get the head over to him.

20161014_1243091.jpg

20161014_1243031.jpg

20161014_1243451.jpg

Edited by mlozier76
ADDING PICTURES
  • Like 1

I've heard the  old  guy in missoula..west side auto.. does good work..was talking with him the other day..ive got an engine out of 53 cranbrook ill be rebuilding  real soon..quoted me about 3 k for a total rebuild..217 to a 230 upgrade..im injured so its plug and play for me..for now......im in the missoula area.....pm me, well talk....

I was building this 230 to go in a 1941 Plymouth Coupe I had a few yrs ago, unfortunately due to business finance issues I had to sell both the unfinished engine and car, however this is a mock up of the engine, I was using an Edgy finned head, Offy twin intake, split headers made from a different pair of stock Plymouth exhaust manifolds, finned side covers, 1/2 race Oz Waggott cam, Oz Holden water pump and Holden single barrel Stromberg carbs, Langdon HEI dissy, Finned Beehive oil filter all connected up to an S10 T5 gearbox.......internal parts were all new including pistons, rings, bearings, timing chain & gears, lifters, guides & oil pump............I found a couple of guys from Turkey, yep, that Turkey who listed various mopar 6 parts on ebay at less than half what they normally went for in the US let alone here in Oz.......there used to be a Chrysler distribution centre for the Middle east in Turkey and there is a pile of genuine US still boxed NOS parts turning up there, these guys go under the name of "Moparken" or similar and usually listed in the 1948-54 Plymouth section of US ebay, all parts were genuine, well packed and sent promptly.....I was also going to get the engine balanced which helps all engines, then assemble the engine myself...........the oil filter & HEI were installed on the original 201 engine while I collected the rest of the bits...........but things changed so I sold it........boo hoo........still got the 'ol brown turd tho' with a 318 Poly etc..........regards, andyd     

IMG_1386.JPG

IMG_1390.JPG

IMG_1361.JPG

IMG_1355.JPG

• Like 1

That is one gorgeous car.  Love the stance and color. Sure would be nice to know how that holden water pump performed.  That block was that for both heat dissipation and bolt pattern matchup?  Seems pretty thick.

Edited by mlozier76

When I started looking around for a 230 engine I found that they were not that common as we in Oz tended to get the 25" engine ex Canada due to the British Commonwealth linkage and therefore cheaper duties & custom charges, etc.....anyway I eventually found an ex airport tug engine that I guy was going to put in a boat, when I went to check it out he had machined up that circular adaptor to use the Holden 186 water pump.....these are extremely easy to find here in Oz being used for 20 yrs or more......he reckoned that they were a more efficient pump as well so I was going to leave it and see how it went.....I never took a pic of the internal setup but it was machined to suit the mopar block water tube hole and bolted straight onto the block then the Holden pump just bolted onto it.......as for the car, it was a 1941 Factory RHD Plymouth P11 ASC(Auxillary Seat Coupe) Coupe built in Sth Africa and imported into Oz in the 1980 or 90's supposedly....I bought it as an older restoration and bog stock apart from a very messy 12volt conversion(see the engine bay pic, lol).....I lowered it, put the Vintiques chrome Smoothies and Coker whitewall radials on, imported the Fulton sun Visor, installed the HEI and Beehive filter....the upholstery is what it had when purchased and the grey colour suited the body colour which we could not accurately match tho it was thought to be a Nissan or Oz Ford colour.........btw that intakes a rare item........regards, andyd    

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1359.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1384.JPG

P1000709 (800x600).jpg

P1000805 (800x600).jpg

On 10/13/2016 at 0:08 PM, mlozier76 said:

20161014_1243451.jpg

WOW! A 2X2 intake!

I have a VERY nice 2x1 Edmunds for my 230,but would rather have a 3x1 if I can find one. I see the 3x1 intakes as the perfect match for a street engine.