EFI vs standard carb

pflaming

I remember back in ancient times it was popular when fuel injections systems(Mechanical) would not work correctly owners often replaced the fuel injection with usually Weber Carbs. Foreign cars of course is what I am talking about. Alfas etc.

IMHO, EFI has so many advantages over carburetors, for driveability the efi cant be beat by a carb.

Will automagicaly adjust the fuel mixture when cold, return to normal as engine warms up.

Will compensate for higher altitude as you climb mountains, provide you with best fuel economy and performance.

A carburetor just kinda sits there and wags it tongue at you.

Nothing like the character a good ol temperamental carb will provide.

Paul; Yes but did you actually learn anything? Modern EFI systems are very complex......with lots of wiring,sensors and computer input. A lot of these work in conjunction with variable valve timing and lift etc. Also they utilize a very effective combustion chamber design. Pretty much the exact opposite of a Carter B & B on a L6 :huh:

Edited by Jeff Balazs
  • Like 1

I love the simplicity of a carb. which is why I love old trucks. My last work van, I drove for 10 years and was a old ford.

Had a 500 holley 4 barrel, and I lived in Albuquerque NM. I lived in the valley and my Ford ran well, in the valley.

If I had a job in the East end of town, at the foothills of the Sandia mountains. It ran like crap with the higher elevation.

Head towards home and ran great again.

Took a Sunday drive up to Sante Fe once, elevation is so high, I fouled 3 spark plugs just getting there.

I prefer old trucks and carburetors, does not hurt to have a modern car around for the Mrs to drive.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pflaming said:

1. What benefit is lost when the EFI is removed?

2. What benefit does the stock carburator have over an EFI setup? 

lets see with the industry all EFI of one evolved state or the other and motor cycles and everything else that runs on fuel the better question is why in the hang are there still carbs....personally I am quite surprised that the government has not mandated retrofit of these antiquated fuels systems..it will most likely be a requirement down the road or a forced  "remove from use" situation for not being able to meet CARB standards

I recall a certain post from you the other day about recycle and go green...why you even taking carbs...recyle that old garbage fuel system and meet both of your goals at the same time...it is not going to make a difference in the world but you may sleep good at night...if the entire universe is not on board with GREEN...you just whizzing in the wind..

In some forms of racing carbs are used over fuel injection because they can dump more fuel at wide open throttle. I guess other than simplicity that's about the only area they out perform EFI. The thing I like about EFI most other than mileage is where they meter the fuel so precisely the engine burns cleaner and doesn't  wash the cylinders down with fuel in rich conditions. EFI engines generally last longer because of this. I recently helped a younger boy I worked with in tuning the carb on his Harley. He had worked on mustangs with EFI, had no problems at all with them but the carb on that bike puzzled him. He called it "A controlled fuel leak".

• Like 2

I was pondering using one of the new EFI type systems on my 50 Ply wagon. Then I sat down on figured out..............need a return line in the tank....have to run either an inline pump or put a pump in the tank.......put O2 sensors in exhaust ........make room under hood and under dash for computer and wires.....and last but not least, spend upwards of $2200 for a complete kit.

Now after sitting and asking myself............"this is not a daily driver and although it would be a great upgrade, is it worth it if I don't drive it everyday? I figured a new 600 Holley is $350 and if I ever have a problem on the road, I can fix it.

So I will sacrifice better mileage and cold starts for piece of mind and more money for other stuff I will need.

• Like 1