got my first l6 flat head..52 cambridge

cruz

greetings... just got my first 52 plymouth cambridge..looks all original ...maybe even rebuilt.. the woman i got her from didn't know what had been done..he husband passed away..left her several cars..d 300, 57 fury ect. found receipts for a carb rebuild..new brakes and master ...runs pretty good .. i think the carb needs dialing in ....on the way home i found a 53 cranbrook..same color sitting a field..motors turns over..I was thinking of pulling the motor in the 53..and doing a rebuild..to get my self familiar with the l 6 motor...it looks pretty much like the same engine and trans.. has the overdrive and all..what parts can i use from the cranbrook ?.any info would help..if any one knows of some one in the missoula mt area familiar with the l 6 217 ..hit me up..be well..... 

Uhhhh,did you say "57 Fury"? FINS! IT'S GOT FINS!

I'm calling dibs on that one! How about PM me her contact info and tell me where she and the Fury are?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shel_ny said:

They are hidden a bit, but there's some fins for ya.

on the wall.jpg

Yeah,but it's not a Fury. I want an actual Fury use to spank restored 50's and 60's Chebbies with. Love to find me a Fury with the dual quad 361 or 383.

1 hour ago, knuckleharley said:

Yeah,but it's not a Fury. I want an actual Fury use to spank restored 50's and 60's Chebbies with. Love to find me a Fury with the dual quad 361 or 383.

I believe one of the golden furys came with a dual quad 350

11 minutes ago, Young Ed said:

I believe one of the golden furys came with a dual quad 350

I believe there was a Fury "Golden Commando" (what a GREAT name!) engine that was a 350,but I THINK that was the horsepower rating,and I THINK it was the 361 engine,which later became the 383 engine.

I know a guy that had Chrysler give him a 58 Fury to drag race in 58.  He claims he was the one that was responsible for the design of the cam used in the dual-quad Golden Commando engines. He is in his 80's now,and it's too late to call him tonight. If nobody else responds,I will try to remember to call him tomorrow and get the lowdown on this.

1 hour ago, Plymouthy Adams said:

Chrysler had the 350 first.....introduced in 1958 along with the 361 these were the entry level B engine of wedge design....the numbers are in reference to CID and not HP

Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder WTH they were thinking to come out with two new engines identical in design,with only 11 cubic inches difference in displacement?

The highest HP optional engine in the 1957 Fury was the DV800 318 Poly with twin WCFB's & 290hp.........for 1958 the 318 Poly with the DV800 option, 290hp twin fours became the base Fury engine and the new Golden Commando 350 cube wedge with 305 hp & twin WCFB's( fuel injection @ 315hp was originally installed but apparently all were recalled and replaced with the twin carters).........the 361 arrived in 1958 for Dodge & 1959 for Plymouth...........andyd 

6 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Thanks for clearing that up. I wonder WTH they were thinking to come out with two new engines identical in design,with only 11 cubic inches difference in displacement?

just advancing along with development.....take for instance the old style hemi, introduced in 1951 and continued through 1958  shares very little with the newer hemi except for valve layout.  These engines were produced in 14 different CID and share more with the poly block.   These lumps are easily identified as the distributor is located at the rear of the engine.

15 hours ago, Andydodge said:

The highest HP optional engine in the 1957 Fury was the DV800 318 Poly with twin WCFB's & 290hp.........for 1958 the 318 Poly with the DV800 option, 290hp twin fours became the base Fury engine and the new Golden Commando 350 cube wedge with 305 hp & twin WCFB's( fuel injection @ 315hp was originally installed but apparently all were recalled and replaced with the twin carters).........the 361 arrived in 1958 for Dodge & 1959 for Plymouth...........andyd 

In 1960 my father bought a '58 Plymouth ex NY State Police car. Had the 361 Special Police engine that was available in DeSoto and Chryslers that year. Boy would that son-of-a-gun go! Easy 55 mph in 1st, squawk the tires going into 2nd up to about 90, shift into 3rd and bury the 120 mph speedo.