What size wrench for brake light switch?

greg g

Don Coatney

• 1948 P-15, 1948 D-24
  • Don Coatney
  • Members
  • 20,500 posts
  • LocationNorthern Indiana
  • My Project Cars:1948 P-15, 1948 D-24

Taking my family out to eat last week I had my D-24 loaded with family and my son was following me in his van with the rest of the family. When we got to the restaurant my son ask me if I ever used the brakes as there were no brake lights visible on my car. I said yes I used the brakes every time I stopped.  Next day I pulled the wires from the top of the switch and shorted them together. The brake lights all lit up so I know the switch was at fault. I found one on Amazon for ten bucks and placed the order.

https://www.amazon.com/Wells-RB401-Brake-Light-Switch/dp/B0026N52ZW

Several years ago I installed a mechanical switch in my P-15 to replace the hydraulic switch that did work but the mechanical switch works better as the brake light comes on as soon as I tap the pedal without pushing it far enough to build pressure. So for a quick fix I elected to swap the hydraulic switches from one car to the other. I now have working brake lights.

The location of the switch is elbow deep under the hood and it is difficult to spin a wrench. So I elected to use a 1" deep well socket and a couple of extensions so I could spin the ratchet wrench without obstructions. This made the job a whole lot easier and quicker. 

001_3.jpg

52b3b Joe and JBNeal like this
  •  

Don Coatney

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/DonCoatney/library/#/user/DonCoatney/library/?page=1&_suid=137807490533204519373465134713

"Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed."

For years I have used this  1-1/16" sending unit and brake light switch socket..... SK #4488 ... .

Sending Brake SW Socket SK 4488 (2).JPG

Sending Brake SW Socket SK 4488.JPG

Sending Brake SW Socket SK 4488 (3).JPG

• Like 2

I just bought a new one at O,Reilly's this summer.  Took the old switch with me (they had two sizes).

33 minutes ago, Furylee2 said:

I just bought a new one at O,Reilly's this summer.  Took the old switch with me (they had two sizes).

Wrench or switch?  My switch came from NAPA the counter girl looked it up by make, model and year in there computer. Popped right up so it will likely be wrong.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greg g said:

Wrench or switch?  My switch came from NAPA the counter girl looked it up by make, model and year in there computer. Popped right up so it will likely be wrong.

Sorry, I should have said socket.  I'm pretty sure it was one of these.  Like I said, I took the new switch in with me to test the fit.  When I got home, I used the socket to remove the old switch and install the new one.

This was on my 58, but the 37 and the 41 use pretty much the same pressure switch.  Lee

Capture.JPG

18 hours ago, Furylee2 said: