Headers or stock exhaust manifold

I have a crack in the front bend of my stock exhaust manifold.  So I'm contemplating whether I should try a set of heaxers or find a stock manifold. I found a stock NOS for $300, not that much less than a Langdon header but his front manifold looks like it drops right on top of the fuel pump. Has anybody here had experience with Langdons?  This is for a 218 in a 46 WC pickup.

I dont have a stick welder otherwise I'd have gotten some nirod and fixed it.  I'll have to bug my neighbor and see if his will work.  Yeah I dont really want to get into the fuel system again, so the Langdon set is out of the question.  What I really should do is look into a tig so I can do more fab work.  This is what happens when you retire and the shop equipment stays with your former employer.:(

9 hours ago, 59bisquik said:

You could also have the crack welded up or modify your stock manifold into a dual outlet for much less than either of the other two options if you wanted to be creative.

Engine%204%202005_zpsd2exgqzg.jpg

Any chance there would be some written article/info on how to go about doing this?

Love that early American Hot Rod look, even if not practical  :P

I was thinking about the effort it would take for the intake.

Probably easier to adapt a single newer 2 barrel carb, then all the machine work to build manifold for 2 single barrel carbs.

Back in the day, they did not have the selection of carbs that we do now, was worth the effort to make the manifold.

In the photo, that is a vintage Fenton manifold. The only thing I made/modified was the dual exhaust manifold. I googled it and there is a ton of info on it. I attached a link on it from the HAMB for ya.

IMG_2064_zpsxhmok6hy.jpg

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/how-do-you-split-a-6-cyl-exhaust-manifold.260399/

As a side note, my Fenton was cracked beyond repair. But Offenhauser still makes a dual carb intake for a reasonable price and looks like original so it fits the period correct look. I will get it installed soon and post up pics.

Edited by 59bisquik

I guess I did the right thing when I bought the spare carburetor a month ago.  I got impatient waiting for the rebuilder to get it finished so I went to a other vendor and bought one outright.  The carb that was on my truck when I bought it had some serious damage to the top and I figured they'd call me and say it's not repairable. It only took them 20 days longer than they quoted me.

Offenhauser makes one?  I'll look into that..  Just looked into that...  They have one for a 230 L6, nothing for a 218.

Edited by Dennis46PU

Laguna Hills, I could walk there!  Thanks Jeff, i'll check into that.  Unfortunately I don't know a lot about these Mopar flatty, except my Dad had a self propelled corn picker with a Chrysler industrial in it.  That's what the neighbor told me and he and both his brothers all drove Dodge pickups and Chryler cars.  I've been adjusting the timing on my 218 and noticed a lot of diference in not only performance but also sound. 

11 hours ago, Los_Control said:

just used the search term "dual carb manifold flat head 6" and first hit is summit.

They sell 2 manifolds, one for the 23" blocks and one for the 25" block

The 218 and 230 would both be the 23" block. 

Externally they are the same. Just a slightly different stroke and a few more ponies for the 230. Otherwise most everything is interchangeable. I have never owned one until I got this truck a few years ago. It has been rock solid reliable but it is definitely not a hot rod. IMO you would have to spend quite a bit of money to get any serious power out of one of these engines. Bolt-on stuff by itself is not really going to get you there. For now I will settle for reliable and just enjoy the truck for what it is. :D

Jeff

On 10/3/2016 at 6:23 PM, Don Coatney said:

I have been running a stock manifolds dual/dual George Asche conversion on my engine for a lot of years. Great performance and mostly trouble free.

side_view.jpg

What changes to your carburetors did you make?  Rejet them?

On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 6:55 AM, Jeff Balazs said:

If you go with the Langdon headers you have to remove the mechanical fuel pump and blank it off. And install an electric pump back by the tank.

Jeff

I have the Langdon headers on my 42 Dodge coupe and am running the stock fuel pump.

On 10/9/2016 at 5:35 PM, Reg Evans said:

I have the Langdon headers on my 42 Dodge coupe and am running the stock fuel pump.

So can I assume you are using a water heat plate on your intake manifold?  Are you running a stock intake?

Just recently came across a web site that deals with parts needed to build split manifolds or they will do it for you. Also disc brakes kits.  Rustyhope.com

Have no experience with them but would be interested to hear from anyone that has.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ranger said:

Just recently came across a web site that deals with parts needed to build split manifolds or they will do it for you. Also disc brakes kits.  Rustyhope.com

Have no experience with them but would be interested to hear from anyone that has.

Rustyhope is a member of this forum and many members here have done business with him with very good results . 

• 2 months later...
On 10/9/2016 at 5:35 PM, Reg Evans said:

Me too... also running factory two barrel Stromberg WW and manifold from '56 Dodge auto. Not using water heat plate set-up.

Edited by Jim Shepard
  • Like 1