P15 steering options

uglysteve

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on my end, I mounted the vega 140 box with a similar adapter plate as junkers, however I used the stock isolators and bolts for mounting the stock box. I had to have my pitman arm modified because the vega 140 box has a smaller output shaft and splines. I also had to shorten my steering shaft and outer tube in order to have a workable angle for the steering u joints. I took it for a ride and besides needing an alignment , I had plenty of turning radius and everything cleared and worked well.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 10/1/2016 at 1:50 PM, junkers72 said:

Found better pic of adapter

image.jpeg

Hey Junker did you make a drawing of this plate? I would like to try installing the steering box as you did. Thanks

On 9/29/2016 at 10:46 PM, junkers72 said:

Box pictured is a borgeson part # 920026. Replacement for 1968-1972 Chevy nova. 24:1 ratio. I have since picked up and installed a borgeson # 920030 which is a manual 16:1 ratio version with a shorter input shaft .If it's not to hard to park with the 16:1 ratio that will stay on. I'm running original steering wheel and 15 x 5" wheels with 205/75r15 radial tires. Gonna try to make time to finish steering column to box shaft this weekend.

Is the 920030 box for a Nova also?

While on the steering subject, have any of you used an aftermarket steering wheel on your old Mopars with manual steering, I want to put an aftermarket 3 spoke wheel on my car, I found one or two around 17-inches, but I'm wondering what I can use to mount the steering wheel, most of the adapters I find, are all for 60s and 70s Mopars, nothing for the older cars, I'm just wondering if one of the newer ones would work with our cars, or if I have to have one made at a machine shop or something

Edited by thebelvedereman
  • Like 1

that question sparked my curiosity. I have different old adapters , spline to 3 bolt steering wheel. will see if any that I have fit my 41 ply and report back tomorrow. The adapters usually have a number stamped on them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, YukonJack said:

I was under the impression the adapters for Dodge vans from the 70's worked. 

yeah I was wondering that myself, because if you go on Summit Racing Jegs or Speedway, no matter what year a body, B body, C body, pick up, or van you put in the same part number comes up for the steering wheel adapter, but I just don't know how far back they go if they were all the same,  I was just going to buy one and see if it fit, but I figured I'd give it a shot and ask a few questions first

1 hour ago, The Way said:

I had read somewhere that you can buy an old steering wheel, remove the center core, and modify that to be an adapter. I did that 4 years ago and it has worked well.

I never even thought about that, I could just use my old steering wheel center, the plastic is all cracked and broken up anyway

On 5/29/2018 at 8:26 PM, barbqueboy said:

Hey Junker did you make a drawing of this plate? I would like to try installing the steering box as you did. Thanks

Yes I do have a drawing. I will share it as soon as I can

On 6/1/2018 at 12:08 PM, junkers72 said:

that question sparked my curiosity. I have different old adapters , spline to 3 bolt steering wheel. will see if any that I have fit my 41 ply and report back tomorrow. The adapters usually have a number stamped on them.

just wondering if you had a chance to try out those adapters

Yes I did. An adapter and wheel that I got from my dad worked. He had it  on a 55 ford crown victoria. And it also spent time on a buddy’s 61 galaxie.

trying to get pics up

C74DE229-0AC0-4A8B-9F84-08A9D98667AD.jpeg68253 is on the wheel adapter 

Edited by junkers72
picture

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/2/2018 at 4:05 PM, junkers72 said:

trying to get pics up

C74DE229-0AC0-4A8B-9F84-08A9D98667AD.jpeg68253 is on the wheel adapter 

That red sparkly wheel reminds me when I was 16... (1968)  I bought the exact same wheel and adapter kit and put it on my 51 Plymouth.... my friends gave me a lot of unwanted comments about it.... sold it and the complete adapter and horn button kit for $10.00 at the Portland swap meet.   Ha ha

Full  steering lock to lock, original plymouth pitman arm and tie rod arrangement, and bolted through original holes for original box . Note: I did not use rubber insulators. New steering box is bolted to adapter. Adapter has threaded holes for bolts through frame . I haven’t road tested it but am confident it will work as it should. Also the new steering box isn’t quite as tall so I had to use 2 joints in the steering shaft to avoid altering column angle from dash mount to floor exit. By the way I wonder what OP uglysteve come up with. Lol

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dodgeb4ya said:

That red sparkly wheel reminds me when I was 16... (1968)  I bought the exact same wheel and adapter kit and put it on my 51 Plymouth.... my friends gave me a lot of unwanted comments about it.... sold it and the complete adapter and horn button kit for $10.00 at the Portland swap meet.   Ha ha

I tried it on “just cause” but removed it for a repainted original. It's from my dad so it is from That time frame

On 4/18/2017 at 4:15 PM, Hubler13f said:

Just an update on my end, I mounted the vega 140 box with a similar adapter plate as junkers, however I used the stock isolators and bolts for mounting the stock box. I had to have my pitman arm modified because the vega 140 box has a smaller output shaft and splines. I also had to shorten my steering shaft and outer tube in order to have a workable angle for the steering u joints. I took it for a ride and besides needing an alignment , I had plenty of turning radius and everything cleared and worked well.

Hope nobody missed Hubler13f’s post

• 4 months later...
On 9/24/2018 at 6:58 PM, junkers72 said:

Full  steering lock to lock, original plymouth pitman arm and tie rod arrangement, and bolted through original holes for original box . Note: I did not use rubber insulators. New steering box is bolted to adapter. Adapter has threaded holes for bolts through frame . I haven’t road tested it but am confident it will work as it should. Also the new steering box isn’t quite as tall so I had to use 2 joints in the steering shaft to avoid altering column angle from dash mount to floor exit. By the way I wonder what OP uglysteve come up with. Lol

I just revisited this thread because I'm FINALLY getting back to working on my Plymouth again.  It would be cool to see how Hubler13f had to modify that pitman arm! I did manage to find  a stock steering box/column for sale as well as a NOS pitman arm so I honestly may try those out first to see if the box is any tighter than mine now. Anythings better than what I have now haha. I got a list of stuff to fix in the mean time too. Hoping to have it back on the road in the next few months.