P15 steering options

uglysteve

I've seen a lot of cavalier rack swaps on P15s but has anyone done anything different? Like a Vega box?

The cavalier swap seems like a lot of work and every one i read about every one is using different pieces from different cars and they lose some of the turning radius. It seems like a lot of work for what it is, especially since I don't really want power steering. I feel like a vega box would require a lot less fabrication and parts.

Here's a pic of a gm 525 manual box I mounted on my 41 Plymouth p11. Plymouth pitman arm fit right on . Made an adapter plate out of 3/8" steel which is bolted onto box then is bolted to frame through original mounting holes. Rubber Insulators removed and a 1/4" steel spacer to fill indent on inner frame rail. Shortened original steering column and shaft . Not quite finished with column job so I do not have any drive time on it yet. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Yeah see that's exactly how I was thinking the vega box would work. With an adapter plate either welded or bolted on. Seems way easier. Cool that gives me a better idea of how to do it!

I don't see why there'd be any issues with since you were able to keep the stock pitman arm and everything.

Edited by uglysteve

Thank you. Here's a pic with original box in place for comparison . Centerline of sector shaft is inward (toward engine) approximately 1/4-3/8 " with gm box but plane and angle of pitman arm is same as original. When it goes for alignment I will report back . Note pitman arm nut is removed on this pic. No I did not drive without it.

image.jpeg

Yeah definitely gonna go this route. I tried looking online and in the shop manual and can't find the shaft size and spline count for my stock box. I'll just have to do it the hard way and crawl under there haha. I bet it's the same. What cars did that GM 525 box come in?

Box pictured is a borgeson part # 920026. Replacement for 1968-1972 Chevy nova. 24:1 ratio. I have since picked up and installed a borgeson # 920030 which is a manual 16:1 ratio version with a shorter input shaft .If it's not to hard to park with the 16:1 ratio that will stay on. I'm running original steering wheel and 15 x 5" wheels with 205/75r15 radial tires. Gonna try to make time to finish steering column to box shaft this weekend.

• 1 month later...

Sorry, didn't get to road test it yet. Had a few other minor snags . Nothing related to the steering. The steering box and linkage are buttoned up. Had to replace the leaky off shore brake distribution block and fix a couple other odds and ends. 

• 4 weeks later...

Merry Christmas uglysteve. If the weather stays workable I can put my column back in for good and take it for a test ride. Will definitely let you know how it works out. Pics to follow soon

Edited by junkers72

• 2 months later...

Hello, any updates to how this worked out for you? I'm in the middle of rebuilding my front suspension and am considering ripping out the omni rack (poorly mounted with little turn radius) and replace it with a setup like this. 

I had a 1955 Desoto with power steering once... Wonder how the steering column with power gear box would work in a 46-48 Plymouth-Dodge.  Could the geometry where the arm attaches to the steering linkage be the same ?. Anyone here tried this ?

I know that the steering setup on the 49 and later models is quite different from the postwar models.  I suspect that the 53 and later are quite different from the 46-48.  The Desoto power steering of '49 and later had the power thing built into the shaft and the pump mounted on the back of the generator.  The 53 Taxi post shows the fat steering volumn, the hydraulic hoses, and the double pulleys to handle the power requirements.  The pump on the back of the generator is out of view.  

Anything is possible, but not few things are easy.

Sounds intresting.  I was aware the power steering was built into the shaft as I added power steering to the 55 Desoto I had.  Ill have to check it out  Does sound like a possibility though.  Id like to be able to keep the 46 Plymouth steering wheel.  Guess a trip to French Lake or Windy Hill here in Minnesota is in order.. LOL  Thanks Donald..

Itching for my test drive. I have another  steering  wheel repainted and ready to replace this one after I recheck things and make other adjustments. Threw the old seat back in too. Hopefully a report back on the  steering box job real soon.  

I have my license plate and insurance. 

This Saturday is the plan . 

IMG_1457.JPG

Junkers72

Sounds good Ill be looking forward to seeing how your test drive goes. My cars front suspension and steering was hacked on before I bought it, but fellow forum member from Locust Gap, PA was kind enough to donate a full front suspension, uprights, spindles, all the steering linkage and a steering box housing for my car. So last week I rebuilt the front suspension, installed the Rusty Hope disc brake kit and Moog cc850 springs with a full coil cut off and now I am waiting on a Vega steering box. I went with the Vega GM 140 box instead of the heavier GM 525 box but from what I read the mounting holes are the same so it should fit well once I make my adapter plate.

Edited by Hubler13f

No ride yet. Sorry. Stuffing from my seats was getting robbed by critters . Found where they took that stuff.  It was in the muffler/ tailpipes. After a couple tries I did get it started and had smoldering fuzz balls come out . Wow what a smell.  The next nicer day that I can get to it its going for a dash up the road and back .  

1 hour ago, junkers72 said:

No ride yet. Sorry. Stuffing from my seats was getting robbed by critters . Found where they took that stuff.  It was in the muffler/ tailpipes.

Stuff a wad of steel wool in yer exhaust pipe to keep them critters out.