46 P15 new water pump bypass elbow & tube ?

3046moparcoupe

Thanks much'o for all the great help received here on the forum lately. I'd be lost without it for sure.

I've got my new water pump painted and ready to mount back on this stock flat six 218,..I also purchased a new bypass elbow and elbow distribution tube from A.B.

the bypass elbow looks good, (has some kind of a light tan/brown thick coating on it which looks like it might hold up a while as is)...but the water bypass elbow tube is a tad different.

my old tube (which is not in the best of shape with rust/cancer) has a small hole ( which looks to perfect to have not been drilled ) in the neck of the lower smaller tube portion of the elbow tube (the tube end that screws down into the bypass elbow housing)...this new bypass elbow tube doesn't have this hole.....wondering if I need to drill out a hole like the old unit ??

Also, while I'm here - this is sorta piddly a question - but what the heck I'll go ahead and ask,....the old elbow tube was built on a 90 degree angle (or maybe someone bent it to a 90 degree angle ?? ), anyway this new tube is built on a 45 degree angle....(not sure what the plating is on the new tube but it looks descent, almost like galvanized),..course the hose connection off this tube routes to the firewall or the back of the engine block depending on if your feeding heater cores or not,...plenty of space ( I suppose ) to compensate for the hose connection at the bypass elbow with the new tube now pointing more straight upwards toward the hood, than straight backwards towards the firewall like the tube was.......if anyone can tell me which is correct, I'd appreciate knowing...and there's not much rocket science in bending a piece of pipe, but then again if this 45 degree angle was the original setup..I'd just as soon not stress the finish on part and leave it alone, aside from as mentioned above,....what might be up in regards to drilling out the hole in the tube to match my old part.

Thank you all for your help.

Steve 

Here is a picture of what I think you are looking for.

The unit on the bottom  is a shutoff valve that can screw right into the bypass unit and the one on the top is the curve hose tube. Not there is not hole drilled into the bottom of the unit.  I have several of the tube model.  I like the use of the shutoff vale because you can then control the flow of the water going to returning back to the radiator via the heater core.

Rich Hartung   desoto1939@aol.com

IMG_0251.JPG

• Like 1

Good info back as always..your reply's back clear up all my questioning...

The shutoff valve makes good sense to me, ( versus the tube ) - and if the valve has worked fine then that also should mean the lower pickup tube section of the original style elbow tube, plays no significant role (hole drilled out or not)...I guess my reason for asking was in respect to the possibility of it being some kind of original design intended to vent, prevent cavitation, etc..

Don and Tim, I appreciate your always willing to help as well..Thanks again everyone for your patience and help in my education from being a long time "parts replacer".. :)

Steve

I have two shutoff valves on my 39 Desoto. One is on the head at the back where the water comes out of the head and the other at the bypass. This enables me to completely shutoff any water flow tot he heater.

Hartung

• 8 months later...

bingster: are you refering to the pictures that i had posted? The top one is the bent tube and the bottom one is the shut off type that canbe used. i prefer the shut off valve.  I might have a couple of each.

Rich Hartung

Why not put a shutoff valve instead of the metal tube? This way you can controlthe flow of water to your heater. I have a shutoff valve at the wp and also at the back of the head on the engine block. I have done this so that if you ever have to do work on the heater you do not have to drain the radiator of fluid, just turn off the flow with the two shutoff valves and then you only have water in the two hoses to be concerned with and this is almost factory looking and no one really knows.  Also when the metal tubes gets old it gets rusty and then it gets harder to remove from the bypass connector. The shutoff value has square bosses so you can get a wrench on them to remove and tighen them. Mush eachier job to maintain.

rich Hartung

Desoto1939@aol.com

There are two hoses to the heater. One delivers water to the heater and the other returns the water to the radiator and water pump to circulate the water.  That is why I use the two shutoff valves.

Check withyou local NAP store and they might have the shutoff value or I might have an extra.

Rich Hartung