Best Junkyard IFS swap for 1948 Dodge Pickup

gbhdrake383

Hello everyone. New to this forum but no new to forums if that makes sense. Got a new build in mind and I this place keeps popping up so I might as well learn from you guys and the community. Anyhoo. Like the post says. Looking to do a IFS swap on my 1948 Dodge B1. People keep saying to do a Mustang 2 swap but I really can't spend $1,500-$2,000. Fabrication to make it fit really isn't a problem but what cars IFS suspension swap fits the best for my B1?

Lots of guys have apparently used Volare front sections, but nothing is an easy swap into these trucks, and a fatman kit would be much easier to use, then hoping to make a junkyard ifs work...most are frame cuts and section in in the donor front, which is fine, but precision is very important, as is your welding skills with any job like this.  I think at this stage more guys would look at the Dakota swap then just taking and making other parts fit

Here in Oz I have seen Jaguar XJ6 Mk 1,2 & 3 front suspensions used in both Frod F100 and 40-50's era Mopar trucks....the Jag front end is a fairly straightforward swap that only needs simple upper shock mount fabrication apart from the actual mounting.......ride, handling and braking are much improved............andyd   

Other than the most common choices....the Crown Vic does seem to have its benefits.

But judging from your question " Best junkyard IFS swap for a 1948 Dodge pickup"......the answer is the same for Dodge as it is for the Chevy and Fords trucks.

48D

48Dodger has a very good writeup.  Another good source is "How to Build Chrysler, Plymouth, Dodge/Hot Rods", by Tex Smith (Author). I bought my copy at a Hlf-Priced book store, for MUCH less than the price I saw on Amazon.

Maybe you could hire 48Dodger and his son to put a Volare front end under yours (he also put a T-Bird IRS under his truck)...

While the Volare and other variants of that torsion bar set up....the problem from most all of these that is in time the parts to repair may be a problem.  Last check I had made of these down the road availability of parts did not meet with much success.  You may be limiting your own build in this manner.  Do not just pick a possible donor without knowing down the line support....the work you put into the mod you choose to make should be one that you can continue to rely on in the future.  While I do not  have a truck that I intend to upgrade as I sold the 58 D100 I had reserved a Volare front suspension and for that matter still have it on hand.  Given all the costs and time and energy one has to commit to the build, I will stick with my sub-framing and keeping the car all Mopar in doing so while gaining the every advantage of PS, PB R&P massive sway bars and ease of finding parts for any and all brake work and suspension repair if needed.  While this may work well for me, I do not and would not say it is an alternative that you might embrace

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

On 9/29/2016 at 7:58 PM, cavisco1 said:

Aerostar is another candidate but rotating the rack to a better angle can be problematic. Good track width and good frame width as well. Couple of people using them on the ford truck sites

Thanks for the info. anything helps

On ‎9‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:58 PM, cavisco1 said:

Aerostar is another candidate but rotating the rack to a better angle can be problematic. Good track width and good frame width as well. Couple of people using them on the ford truck sites

Can you offer a link to one of the projects?  I would like to take a look.

pay close attention to the upper a-arm mounts..these seem to have to be very accurately placed for correct geometry and ability to align front suspension...especially in ability to set caster and camber properly.....of the three I see the 54 F100 as the only completed vehicle...and I could not find any information on alignment scanning the pages..I admit I only quick scanned the article...it is 9 pages...if some one read this data please post here....the very setup looks promising...I may investigate this at the local wrecking yard to get a better idea of the upper component mounting and location/relationship to the lower arm..till then I am reserving my overall opinion..

• 5 weeks later...