Coker Nostalgia Radials opinion?

1949 Wraith

I have several advertisement for my 1939 Desoto and in the pictures of the cars on 4 door sedans with people like Walt Disney, Spencer Tracy and other the advertisement and these have real cars in the advertisements they have whitewall tires and both the inner and outer sidewalls are whitewalls.  Also these are the goodyear Aero tire with the ridges on the sidewalls. Also the front tread was different from the rear tread design.  The rear tread design had a crisscross pattern and the front were a straight ribbed design.

Yes WW were an option that has some cost so I would assume that most people went with the Blackwall tires

Rich Hartung

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, desoto1939 said:

I have several advertisement for my 1939 Desoto and in the pictures of the cars on 4 door sedans with people like Walt Disney, Spencer Tracy and other the advertisement and these have real cars in the advertisements they have whitewall tires and both the inner and outer sidewalls are whitewalls.  Also these are the goodyear Aero tire with the ridges on the sidewalls. Also the front tread was different from the rear tread design.  The rear tread design had a crisscross pattern and the front were a straight ribbed design.

Yes WW were an option that has some cost so I would assume that most people went with the Blackwall tires

Rich Hartung

Interesting. Did they do that with other 30's and 40's tires? I am assuming the rear tires were different for more traction in mud and snow

2 hours ago, knuckleharley said:

Interesting. Did they do that with other 30's and 40's tires? I am assuming the rear tires were different for more traction in mud and snow

yes the cross design tread on the rears was to get more grip and the straight tread was for easier turning on the front wheels.  I can say that the 38/39 Desoto used the same tires.

Rich Hartung

I put Coker 670-15 narrow WW radials on my 46 ply and they are great.  No balancing problems  With the bias looking tread they do look like the originals.  Doesnt seem to steer any harder.

1 hour ago, dale said:

I put Coker 670-15 narrow WW radials on my 46 ply and they are great.  No balancing problems  With the bias looking tread they do look like the originals.  Doesnt seem to steer any harder.

Bias ply tires generally steer with less effort because they provide less road grip. They also require you to do more driving because cars with bias tires on them tend to do more drifting around than radials due to uneven road surfaces. Which is probably one reason they wear out sooner,too.

On some roads that are very smooth and straight,you might not notice the difference if they are properly inflated and your front suspension is tight and aligned right.

Personally, I have no experience with the bias-ply look radial tires, altho’ a friend of mine “back west” says his are much better than real bias-ply tires (this is supposed to be a “family oriented” website, so I won’t quote him on those…), but not nearly as good as “regular” radial tires – he called them “an acceptable compromise”. I run regular radials, because I don’t care about the look of the tires, as long as the car rides and handles decently, and I won’t clean white walls, so I go with black walls on the wire wheels on the car presently. As for Coker tire, I again defer to my friend “back west”, who says they’re a good company to deal with – helpful, cooperative, and stand behind they products. For what it's worth . . .Thx.

Hello,

I put Goodyear collector tires on my all original 1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe because I found the original dealers delivery sheet under the back seat which told all the options the car came with from the factory which was Goodyear 6:50x15 tires. I have been driving this car with these tires for over 30+ years here in Southern Califorina(I'm on my third set). I got them through Jim Benjamison Plymouth Owners Club.

Ernie Baily

1948 Plymouth Special Deluxe 2dr Sedan