Coker Nostalgia Radials opinion?

1949 Wraith

I am thinking of getting some of the Coker 6.5-16 Nostalgia white wall radials for my 1941 C28.  I like the look of my present reproduction Firestone Bias ply tires, but on windy days they are really terrible handling.

I want to stay close to the stock look using the original rims, which really limits options There are not many reviews about the Coker nostalgia radials. 

Anyone have experience with them? I know Coker has had some good and bad reviews on their other reproduction tires.

I believe I read somewhere that Whitewall Tires weren't offered until the late 1940's. Maybe a Blackwall Radial would be your best "authentic" pick?

Although I have seen Tire Ads supposedly in the 1930's showing colored widewalls (green, blue, red etc).

Can anyone elaborate or enlighten us on this subject?

Tom

The first tires were all white.  Your current tires are white under the black outer coat. You can take them to a tire shop that has the grinder,and grind down the outer surface to expose the new whitewall.

50 minutes ago, knuckleharley said:

The first tires were all white.  Your current tires are white under the black outer coat. You can take them to a tire shop that has the grinder,and grind down the outer surface to expose the new whitewall.

only if you have a sidewall or RWL's....else there is no need for the white underlayment

While it is true that white wall tires have been around longer than black wall tires, in the 30s and 40s (at least pre-WW2) white wall tires were really rare. Usually only on body styles that were considered sporty like convertibles. Almost never seen on sedans or coupes.

OTOH, many (most?) restored cars are tricked out with all the upscale things that could have conceivably been added when relatively new. So if white wall tires are one of the things you want, go ahead and put them on even if it is unlikely the car ever had them during its first 20 or so years of existence.

4 hours ago, TodFitch said:

While it is true that white wall tires have been around longer than black wall tires, in the 30s and 40s (at least pre-WW2) white wall tires were really rare.

I have always GUESSED that was because of the lack of paved roads outside of cities,and how hard it was to keep them clean.

There were some problems when Coker first started making their WWW radials (drat - seems like yesterday, but its been about 20 years now!), but I have not heard anything adverse for quite some time.  Haven't had the chance to socialize with the old car clubs here in Maine so far, but back in western NY the vast majority of folks running WWW radials were using Coker products, including the nostalgia radials with no complaints.  My only comment on whether or not to put them on you car is that its your car.  I'm not generally concerned with historical accuracy, I like the original looks, but I also like some of the frills you could order (which were actually rather sparse in the 30s and 40s), or get dealer installed or aftermarket.  You can see on my avatar that our '48 D24 has WWW bias plies, which were not an option when new, and Coker wasn't making radial WWWs when we put the shoes on her.  (They're Coker's Firestone reproductions.)  When it comes time to replace these, we're putting Coker WWW radials on it, just haven't decided which ones, yet. 

Edited by Dan Hiebert

I've been running Coker 600/16 radials on my '39 for over a year now. Using original rims. The performance and handling is greatly improved - a lot less wandering on bad road surfaces. One tire did develop a bubble under the whitewall. I contacted Coker and they replaced it free and paid shipping both ways.

Pete

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peter1938 said:

I've been running Coker 600/16 radials on my '39 for over a year now. Using original rims. The performance and handling is greatly improved - a lot less wandering on bad road surfaces. One tire did develop a bubble under the whitewall. I contacted Coker and they replaced it free and paid shipping both ways.

Pete

Thanks Pete that's the reviews I was looking for. I usually to ride the back roads so tramming tends to be an issue with the present bias ply and they are hairy if you travel over 50-55 mph on windy days. I will be able to use the bias ply on my '49 half ton as I doubt it will be driven over 50. 

34 minutes ago, 1949 Goat said:

.... I will be able to use the bias ply on my '49 half ton as I doubt it will be driven over 50. 

HAH! Where is your sense of adventure?

BTW,I sold a 49 Dodge pu to a friend that also has the VERY early 60's Dodge half-ton his grandfather bought new,and he tells me he can cruise at 55 with the 49 if he wants,but can't do much more than 45 with the 60/61 restored pu without it sounding like it's stressed.

a good bias will not limit your speed...I have driven 80+ with the tires from Lucas on the 54.....first quality bias..not some poor repop that is made for looks and the seller tell you when they would not balance they for static display only...

granted at 80+ the front is light feeling..but it does cruise 75 no problem..drive the dang things like they were meant to be or watch and not cuss as the mopeds speed by you..

Edited by Plymouthy Adams
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, greg g said:

Contact member Mark Aubuchon via a PM for his experience with these tires.

these as in Coker  or the Lucas tires I recommended...I would not put Cokers on a piles of leaves with the expectation of them holding the leaves in place and keeping the wind from blowing them away, but this is just my opinion based on many disappointed owners complaints...what in the long run do I really know eh?

• Like 1

all I am saying is should you sacrifice the ride of the old car for tires that are inferior, unable to balance due to out of round just for the sake to have the car look like it is period correct...you can have both but you got to be aware of what is out there....

I have bias ply on my 54 and they are correct in size and WWW size....I also will have bias on the 47 Town Sedan but I am not sure if I will run the tires that are still new in the wrapper due to the maker of said tire.  As for the others...mods baby mods...the more the merrier in my opinion...just keep the body looking right...upgrade the rest...to that end I differ from many you and many other forum members...I will drive my modern equipped 40's vehicle..the car world did not advance where it is today by being complacent with the stuff of yesteryear....room for all...I'll wave as I pass by

• Like 1

Guys,I prefer to keep original cars as original as possible,but I will NOT sacrifice safety and reliability for fashion.  Tires and brakes are in MY opinion the two prime areas  where it only makes sense to go modern if you plan on using the car as a daily driver or semi-daily driver.

I still have old nylon tires on my 51 coupe,and sometimes I forget I am driving it and enter a curve at what would have been a very moderate speed in my newer stuff,and scared the hell out of myself. Because of this,will be putting radial tires on it soon.

Just like I plan on putthing hydraulic 50 Lincoln brakes on my all-original 38 Ford humpback tudor sedan. I would have to be a fool to drive a car like that in modern traffic with the original cable brake system that is on it. I am not trying to insult anyone,and if you think I am being too harsh,drive a car with cable brakes in modern traffic and then get back with me. Yeah,you can adjust them. They don't stay adjusted long,though.

Given the rarity of 1938 Ford "standard" grille shells and front fenders,as well as my own health,it's going hydraulic. I will save all the cable brake stuff so the next owner can restore it to original if he wants after I die,but I damn sure have no interest in using it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mrwrstory said:

Diamondback or Lucas are good choices.  Cokers not good!

I have checked both both Diamondback and Lucas.  Diamondback does not offer a narrow radial in a 16" rim. The only radial in  a 16" rim that Lucas sells is the Coker nostalgia radial.

finding the narrow 16 inch radial is going to place  your market of search overseas....they are out there...just not an US item for the most part..I have one car here that I have searched out these tires for....alloy wheels 16x4.5 with 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern...while the cost of the tire is reasonable, the cost of getting it here is off the wall....but considering the price of some of the older tire distributors, may make it a better value for you...

• 3 months later...

Coming to this thread late I'm afraid,  BUT,  last year I bought a set of the Coker "Bias Look Radials" (advertised on their site as the American Classic) and I had nothing but problems with them.  3 of the 4 tires in the first set were so out of round they simply wouldn't balance properly.  The second set had sidewall bulges straight from the factory. I had to jump through a lot of hoops with Coker to return them.  They fail to mention that these tires are not DOT approved. The bias look radials LOOK right, but I sure wouldn't risk driving on them. 

Edited by st63
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2016 at 7:03 PM, 1949 Goat said:

I have checked both both Diamondback and Lucas.  Diamondback does not offer a narrow radial in a 16" rim. The only radial in  a 16" rim that Lucas sells is the Coker nostalgia radial.

I know this is a late reply,but since you plan on driving your car,why not use old Mopar skinny 15 inch steel wheels your hubcaps will fit on,and running skinny 15 inch radial "old car look-alike" radials? If 100 percent original is important to you for show,just keep your 16 inch wheels with the bias tires on them and put them on the car when you take it to a show?

OR...,maybe some of our UK friends that post here will comment on skinny 16 inch radials in the UK,and provide some sources with emails and advertised prices?

I did go with the Coker 6.50-16 Nostalgia radials. One of the main reasons I bought the tires was that I needed tires for my 1949 Chev 1\2 ton and the Chrysler 6.50-16 bias were a direct swap. My 1949 Dodge has modern radials and drives like a dream. 

The Cokers were a compromise with some improvement in handling, especially in cross winds and the wide white wall of bias. But they are no were near as good  handling as the lower profile and wider radials on the Dodge.

Two of the Coker tires had to exchanged as they had flat spots. There were no issues having this done with the company, but it still was a pain as the specialty tire shop was 2.5 hour round trip away.

• Like 1