Ratio dont shoot me

POPTOP

tried to find answer  Im not that comp savvy I have a b1b with 218 motor and a choice of a 3 speed  and a 4 speed  I have 2 different rear ends if I turn the break drum one full rotation the  yoke on  one turns 2 1/8  times about?

and the other turns 4 1/8  which rear and tranny would you use only reason I am leaning on the 4 speed is I read its a stronger tranny than the 3 speed and I do have the bell housing for both

ps    I don't want to be late to a car show and I don't want to leave to early

Just my tw0 cents. If high gear in the trans is 1:1,  then will be same rpm in 3 speed high gear as a 4 speed high gear.

The 4 speed has the granny low that you early use, how often will you pull stumps with your truck?

So the 4 speed is essentially a 3 speed with a sexy stump pulling gear in reserve. I do think the 4 speed is a stronger transmission.

The 3 speed I bet has slightly different gearing getting to top gear. The weak link on a 3 speed is the 3 on the tree linkage.

It actually works very well, but always got ignored in the routine maintenance schedule, so it needs new bushings and shims and lots of grease to get operating again.

The sexy thing about the 3 speed, is the shifter on the column.

I think what you really want is info on the rearend gear ratio, and what rearend to use.

What I gather, and am very new to just researching this info myself, it is a set of 3.73 gears wiith a 4 speed trans to make it more drivable.

I have yet to see anyone with a 3 speed talk about a gear change and if the 3:73 also work for them.

B1B wouldn't have a column shift. Even 3 speeds were floor shift. Depending on which version 4 speed you have, and condition of the transmissions, I'd probably go with the 3 speed. Early 4 speeds are not synchronized. 3 speeds are synchronized in 2nd & 3rd. 

Your axle ratios done add up. When you do that test you need to ensure that both wheels turn equally, otherwise the differential action will give false results. If you can block one wheel from turning, then multiply your pinion rotations by 2 to get the results. Or look for some numbers stamped on the differential housing that will indicate the ratio.