Ford Ranger Rear Axle Assembly Swap

Nelkor

I'm looking at swapping out original rear axle assembly on my 1950 B-2 with a Ford Ranger 8.8 Axle assembly with 10" drum brakes. I have the original flathead motor, but installed a t-5 transmission. Anyone have similar experience?  If so any suggestions on things to consider?

thank you for your thoughts. 

All good info here, with those who have done this and been there. Someone I know is running a 32 Chrysler with the big tall bias ply tires, 3.90 gears and a T5, this works very well with his 250 engine.

My truck has a 3.23 rear gears, in high winds and long hills you feel it, a 5th or 4th overdrive would not work well.

These engines seem to like to do the grunt work from 2500-3000 RPM, now going below 2000 up hill or ion strong wind seems to zap the powerband, regardless of the fact the torque max starts at 1600-1800 rpm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I really appreciate the feedback. I recently rebuilt the 218, but will likely go with the 3.73 based on the suggestions.

One other question, did anyone upgrade/change the brake master cylinder following the axle swap?  Was thinking I may need or want to do that. Appreciate y'all's thought on that as well. 

Thanks again this gets me much further down the road on my project. 

• 3 months later...