remote starter

DonaldSmith

Pictured is my remote starter.  The subject came up under another thread, but it would be easier to find here. 

I used two cans.  The larger can holds the smaller can and wires, for storage. The smaller can houses the momentary contact starter button and the latching ignition switch.

For the red wires, the large clip goes to the (-) negative post of the battery (for positive ground cars) This supplies power to the starter button and the ignition switch.  The small clip goes to the starter solenoid, where the wire from the ignition switch connects.   

The white wire coiled around the can is the ignition wire.  For some procedures, I want to crank the engine but not start the car, so the sire strays coiled around the can, held wit  rubber bands. If I do want the engine to run, I'll connect the white wire to the circuit feeding the coil.  (For breaker-type ignition, the wire can clip to the (-) post of the coil.  For Pertronix ignition, the wire must not be clipped to the coil, but to the power wire that goes to the distributor.)  

tools - remote starter (1).JPG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rb1949 said:

I use a wire from the battery to the starter to crank (no switch). If I have to jump start my own car, just turn ign switch to run. Don's free minutes don't include long distance.

Do sparks fly when you do this? Is this how you do a compression check?

On 9/8/2016 at 10:22 AM, DonaldSmith said:

Pictured is my remote starter.  The subject came up under another thread, but it would be easier to find here. 

I used two cans.  The larger can holds the smaller can and wires, for storage. The smaller can houses the momentary contact starter button and the latching ignition switch.

For the red wires, the large clip goes to the (-) negative post of the battery (for positive ground cars) This supplies power to the starter button and the ignition switch.  The small clip goes to the starter solenoid, where the wire from the ignition switch connects.   

The white wire coiled around the can is the ignition wire.  For some procedures, I want to crank the engine but not start the car, so the sire strays coiled around the can, held wit  rubber bands. If I do want the engine to run, I'll connect the white wire to the circuit feeding the coil.  (For breaker-type ignition, the wire can clip to the (-) post of the coil.  For Pertronix ignition, the wire must not be clipped to the coil, but to the power wire that goes to the distributor.)  

tools - remote starter (1).JPG

Another use for a can is for us hard of hearing guys......take your flasher and mount it inside a corn can or such at the very bottam hole and use a longer screw or bolt to attach it to a support.....3 times as loud as stock.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Frank Elder said:

Another use for a can is for us hard of hearing guys......take your flasher and mount it inside a corn can or such at the very bottam hole and use a longer screw or bolt to attach it to a support.....3 times as loud as stock.

What did you say?

• Like 2