Vin numbers

BillyBoySmith

Hi, I mentioned in a previous post that the vin number on my registration document (UK) had two incorrect digits. I contacted the licensing authority to have it corrected, but they replied saying that the number on my UK document is the same number on the previous owner's Oklahoma (USA) title. The only way it can be corrected is if I provide proof that the number is incorrect, -either from a recognized 'owner's club' official, or, from the manufacturer. Is there anyone connected to this forum that could supply me (for a fee) with an official letterhead that might satisfy the licence departments need ?? One of you guys sent me a pictured list of Dodge serial numbers showing the start and finish numbers for all the model/years. I can forward this to them, but it would carry more weight with an official letter. many thanks, Regards, Billy.   By the way, the vin number shown on my reg doc doesn't even fit in with the number sequence for that year, but the actual vin number (on car) does !!  Car is a '49 Dodge Wayfarer Business coupe (D29).

Edited by BillyBoySmith
additional info

Some of the shop manuals will show serial # ranges in the beginning. You could also try contacting Chrysler historical and get a build card for your car. I believe mine included a serial # range and where my car fell in that range. 

• Like 2

Are they using the engine number or the serial number on the door post.  If the serial number take a picture of it, or even better call your local police ask them if they might be able to send an officer to witness the procedure, and attest to its accuracy.  Sometimes a pencil rubbing of the number will help especially where the error might be transposed numbers or a typographic error.

• Like 1

Many jurisdictions used the engine number as the primary identification.   If this is the case, the number will, in your case, begin with D29.

If the car has had the engine replaced, the original engine  number can be found on the frame above and behind the left rear axle facing out.  If the serial number is the primary identification, it will be on the left front A pillar on a metal tag which may be either riveted or in many cases screwed on. The serial number will begin with a 1  a 2  or a 9  depending on where the car was built.

• Like 2