Play in steering column?

uglysteve

I've been driving my 48 plymouth with pretty loose steering for a while now. The other day I noticed that I now have some play in the column. The shaft inside the column that the wheel attaches to. I can wiggle the steering wheel up and down, not much, maybe 1/16th or 1/8th inch. Just enough to notice it isn't right. I have the shop manual but all it says is that "there should not be any up and down movement of the steering wheel at the steering column jacket." It does not make it clear how to fix that issue. In the exploded view it looks like that shaft goes all the way from the steering wheel down through the worm gear, is that right? I'm wondering what I should look for to take that movement out of the steering wheel. If anyone's had this issue before. Thanks! 

On the top of the steering box there is andjustment screw to take up the backlash in the the worm and sector There is also a lock screw for this adjustment.  You can jack up the car to take the weight off of the front wheels then adjust the backlash in the steering box.  Be careful not to tighten the adjustment too much, that would cause binding and undue wear on the parts.  A slight bit loose is better than no free motion at all.  Check the repair manual for details.

Edited by busycoupe

Also, there is a rubber isolator pad between the steering box and the frame, it it is worn and gummy, very likely after 65+ years, it will allow a lot of movement before transferring any to the tie rods.  Some have a center splitter also same deal here, it is loose it will transfer motion less effectively.

• Like 1

Also be aware that there is a bushing at the top end of the steer tube to support the one piece steering shaft. These do not often have the wear you are describing, but could be worn. Pinpoint where the movement is.

There is also a rubber insulator at the attachment point of the column at the dash mount point.

The other forum posts can surely also have the effect of excess steer wheel movement.

DJ

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DJ194950 said:

There is also a rubber insulator at the attachment point of the column at the dash mount point.

DJ

I am also missing this little rubber insulator.

Does  anyone have a modern replacement part #?

Thanks

Neil

I did not even look for replacement stock steer column to dash insulator,  I just used some 1/6" or 1/8" thick bulk rubber fit stock (I forget which) I already had and cut to fit. I had much bigger things to deal with!;)

DJ

Edited by DJ194950
spelling

1 hour ago, DJ194950 said:

Also be aware that there is a bushing at the top end of the steer tube to support the one piece steering shaft. These do not often have the wear you are describing, but could be worn. Pinpoint where the movement is.

The other forum posts can surely also have the effect of excess steer wheel movement.

DJ

I know for sure its not the rubber insulator at on the column attachment point. I first noticed the movement while driving, I just felt a little rattle in the wheel and thats the first thing i checked. If I have my hands on the wheel I can physically move it up and down. I feel the shaft moving inside the housing. Not a lot, but that's what it is. I'll take the wheel off and check that bushing. Does anyone make new ones or will I have to hunt for one?

Aren't there shims in the box at the end of the steering shaft that control end play? Maybe the bearings/race in the box are worn?