Electronic ignition

Has anybody here tried or are using a breakerless electronic ignition. A lot of people in my area are using them just not any have Mopars. The brand I am considering is the Pertronix unit, Ignitor. Pertronix makes them for 6 and 12 volt positive and or negative ground.

Hello Dennis,

I've never had much success with the forum search, so I'll try to answer your question. You did not mention if you are still running 6v or 12v. For six volt, Pertronix is the only upgrade path I'm aware of. For twelve volt there is Pertronix, Mopar, GM HEI, 

Langdons Mini-HEI, and Ford TFI. Non of them are plug and play except for Langdons Mini-HEI. Pertronix requires modifications to the distributor. The Mopar and GM HEI require modifying an electronic ignition slant six distributor with some parts from a flathead distributor. The Ford TFI can be triggered from the flathead points distributor. If going with the Ford TFI, be sure to get a later model remote mounted module (1992 F150 4.9L are good donors). The first generation distributor mounted TFI modules had reliability issues and were subject of a class action lawsuit, but the remote mounted units seem to be quite reliable. 

With any electronic ignition conversion be sure to use resistor plug wires and plugs.

The OEM based conversions are reliable and parts availability is good. If you use an OEM based conversion, Mopar, GM-HEI and Ford-TFI modules are available at any parts store in the US. You may have some trouble finding a Pertronix module on a Saturday road trip.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/mopar-flathead-6-distributor-upgrade-48-desoto.653565/

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/tfi-using-points-how-to.374699/

http://www.langdonsstovebolt.com/store/#!/Stovebolt-Mopar-Mini-HEI/p/1222043/category=18665979

I hope you find this more useful than "Do a forum search for ...."

Good luck with your project,

Scott.

Edited to correct typographical errors.

Edited by cavisco1
  • Like 1

Maybe this should be a sticky or in the FAQ. When someone says "Do a forum search" it may indicate it belongs in the FAQ or a sticky. To reply, "Do a forum search" seems a bit rude and non-welcoming. I think pointing someone to a well constructed FAQ with a link is a bit more civil and helpful. 

Scott.

• Like 1

Maybe this should be a sticky or in the FAQ. When someone says "Do a forum search" it may indicate it belongs in the FAQ or a sticky. To reply, "Do a forum search" seems a bit rude and non-welcoming. I think pointing someone to a well constructed FAQ with a link is a bit more civil and helpful. 

Scott.

For newcomers and apparently for some folks that have been here for a while learning to do a forum search will net many responses to questions. I see nothing rude nor non welcoming about it. If a forum search were not helpful I doubt there would be a link to do so.

• Like 1

Hi Don,

Good to hear from you! Yes, a forum search will sometimes yield good results, but it really wasn't difficult at all to simply try and answer the fellow's original question. It probably would also have been easy to point to some relevant search results and then remind the original poster of the power of search. I guess it just boils down to how we were raised as to the things we consider rude, but I've noticed a general decline in civility both online and in society in general. We are both probably too old to change, so I wish you well.

Now back on topic; What is your preferred ignition? I know some folks prefer sticking with 6v and points. For some, part of the charm of an older vehicle is keeping the Kettering ignition in top shape.

Scott. 

• Like 3

For newcomers and apparently for some folks that have been here for a while learning to do a forum search will net many responses to questions. I see nothing rude nor non welcoming about it. If a forum search were not helpful I doubt there would be a link to do so.

nor do I and why I support and promote its use......reading about a particular subject can only enhance your knowledge base...and in the meantime you will be surprised at the information on related subject/systems that will pop up and make one say, a-ha..that is good to know.  The reader/user is basically limiting themselves by not using the search feature....but as they say, you  can lead a horse to water but my cannot make him swim in it...

Hi Don,

Now back on topic; What is your preferred ignition? I know some folks prefer sticking with 6v and points. For some, part of the charm of an older vehicle is keeping the Kettering ignition in top shape.

Scott. 

I have one car converted to 12 volt negative ground running a dual point distributor. I have another car 6 volt positive ground with a Pertronix unit. Both run well so I have no favorite. 

• Like 1

I just received/installed the hei unit from Langdons. It requires 12v conversion which I was doing anyway. One 12v hot current from the switch and a bracket to mount the coil (I opted for the square coil. If one were to use the optional round coil, they could use the original coil bracket.) and it fired right up. I love it. To be fair, I never ran the truck with the original points style distributor for comparison. Rebuilding my original distributor was going to cost me at minimum within 10 bucks of the new unit so for me it was a no brainer.

Well earlier in the day the search was working great, and I found a lot of answers by using the search. It was quite late, maybe more like too early in the morning and maybe the search function was just plain tired of me, and what I was getting was "0 results try another".

cavisco1 - Dodge flathead six. My other 2 cars, Cadillacs, already have electronic ignition. So I'm only interested in the Dodge. Parts on Saturday - I have to go online and look up the parts myself most of the time and tell them the number, if their company has it. If I go in the store and tell them I have a 46 Dodge pickup model WC, they always give me a deer in the headlights look.

Mr. Dids - HEI ? Wow and was that for a Dodge flathead six? This has me interested as I haven't checked my vacuum advance yet, (did a search and got numerous postings show up but not really any that had a part that fit snug without modification), but if I can get a complete new dizzy that has a rotor that doesn't flop around after trying 3 different rotors that all claimed to be for a IGS distributor, then that just might be the way to go. Or at least investigate. Where if I might ask did you find the Langdons unit?

The ignition questions I have are a result of poor engine running cruising down the road. It has good acceleration, does not stumble off the line, but when I get up to guessing about 45 mph it has a flutter if you will and pops and farts once in a while. Checked timing with a light, snapon with advance dial, and it was good. Dwell is off but measured gap using a wire gauge and it showed spot on. It also has a rebuilt carb that looks brand new, from Carburetor Exchange in El Monte, CA which I highly recommend. Cap looks good and clean, resistor wires and plugs. No spark jumping, checked in dark one night. Starts right up always takes about 30 seconds of idle and is ready to go. It's just the unsteady driving down the open road.

I just now did a Search of this (truck forum- start the search when on this forum)  with just the title of "pertronix" and there is a whole page of posts with something to do with this topic. May some some info on other types of electronic ign. also,- I did Not take the time to really read them. That is  up to you if you find some relevant info there.

Also went to on the "car" forum and searched "electronic ignition" and another whole page of posts came up with some about other ways to get rid of points on the flat six.

Also in the Resources in the main header line above click on that and go down to downloads you will see pertronix install and application per ignition distributor # as per your dist. tag on the dist body side tag.

Happy hunting,

DJ

Edit to add some search info and to try to clarify searching on truck/car forum.

Edited by DJ194950
  • Like 1

Dennis,

Did you look at any of the links I posted? All the systems I mentioned in my previous post can be adapted to work with your Dodge flathead. One of the links I posted shows how to convert a slant six electronic ignition distributor to work in your flathead. Once you have the converted distributor, you can use a Mopar electronic ignition module or GM HEI module. The other 2 options shown in the links are to trigger a Ford TFI module with your existing points distributor or use the self contained Langdons Mini HEI. 

Good luck,

Scott.

Right now there are some forum upgrades going on that might or might not have an effect on doing a forum search. However if you google "Langdons" you will be directed to the engineer Tom Langdons .

I think that might have been the problem as I used several different words, names when searching. Is working now.

Scott, yeah I was busy with a water supply line in my front yard... just sat down and read Tom Langdons site. I dont know about everybody else, but those are some cool products he has to offer and I would consider his prices very reasonable. Not sure I want to invest a lot in a tired ol flathead and leaky trans that makes a lot of noise. I like what I see with the adapter plate for trans swap. Anybody here with the automatic trans update adapter?

Well earlier in the day the search was working great, and I found a lot of answers by using the search. It was quite late, maybe more like too early in the morning and maybe the search function was just plain tired of me, and what I was getting was "0 results try another".

cavisco1 - Dodge flathead six. My other 2 cars, Cadillacs, already have electronic ignition. So I'm only interested in the Dodge. Parts on Saturday - I have to go online and look up the parts myself most of the time and tell them the number, if their company has it. If I go in the store and tell them I have a 46 Dodge pickup model WC, they always give me a deer in the headlights look.

Mr. Dids - HEI ? Wow and was that for a Dodge flathead six? This has me interested as I haven't checked my vacuum advance yet, (did a search and got numerous postings show up but not really any that had a part that fit snug without modification), but if I can get a complete new dizzy that has a rotor that doesn't flop around after trying 3 different rotors that all claimed to be for a IGS distributor, then that just might be the way to go. Or at least investigate. Where if I might ask did you find the Langdons unit?

The ignition questions I have are a result of poor engine running cruising down the road. It has good acceleration, does not stumble off the line, but when I get up to guessing about 45 mph it has a flutter if you will and pops and farts once in a while. Checked timing with a light, snapon with advance dial, and it was good. Dwell is off but measured gap using a wire gauge and it showed spot on. It also has a rebuilt carb that looks brand new, from Carburetor Exchange in El Monte, CA which I highly recommend. Cap looks good and clean, resistor wires and plugs. No spark jumping, checked in dark one night. Starts right up always takes about 30 seconds of idle and is ready to go. It's just the unsteady driving down the open road.

Kinda sounds like the points to me. Did you try filing and resetting them? I had issues with metal transfer when I still had points. Quality was questionable. I switched over to a Pertronix system and have not had any problems since doing so.

Jeff

Jeff,

Yes I did do a quick slide with my points file.  I cant believe I actually kept my tuneup kit I bought 44 years ago.  Still ran crummy after that.  So that's why I'm looking for a better solution.  Less maintenance in at least the ignition department.  I will have to say this much, I am impressed with the Langdon parts line.  I have lots of little things that eventually need attention, a cracked exhaust manifold near #1 exhaust port at the bend, just to name one off the top of my head.  I don't see signs of leaking exhaust yet.  

9 hours ago, Dennis46PU said:

Jeff,

Yes I did do a quick slide with my points file.  I cant believe I actually kept my tuneup kit I bought 44 years ago.  Still ran crummy after that.  So that's why I'm looking for a better solution.  Less maintenance in at least the ignition department.  I will have to say this much, I am impressed with the Langdon parts line.  I have lots of little things that eventually need attention, a cracked exhaust manifold near #1 exhaust port at the bend, just to name one off the top of my head.  I don't see signs of leaking exhaust yet.  

How about replacing the condenser ?

Agreed the Langdon stuff is real nice. Not sure if most of us need any of it though. You are only going to get so much umph out of these engines without spending a bleeding fortune. I am perfectly happy with my Pertronix set up. Gave me exactly what I wanted for a reasonable amount of money......and has not been touched since.

Jeff

You can look at what a company called Wilcap adaptors in a web search -to fit our Flathead motors to chevy trans.

and also:http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=222.

For mopar auto adaptors.

Happy hunting,

DJ

I'm using Langdon's GM mini HEI unit and very happy with it. I don't like the way it looks, so may convert my original dizzy with the Pertronix kit I have.