SMS Auto Interior

Branded

I order carpet for a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer Roadster on May 25. I was told carpet would ship in 2 weeks. The carpet shipped August 1. The carpet was cut a sewn and was suppose be be a perfect fit. The carpet doesn't come anywhere near fitting. I e mailed SMS no reply, I have removed all the stitching where SMS had sewn it together and have a local shop trying to make it fit. For $525.00 I shouldn't be going thru this. I would have been better off going buying from JC Witney I think. Think twice before purchasing thru SMS, obviously I'm not a satisfied customer. Send me a message if anyone wants more information on this horror story.

Dave Cunningham

If this saves one person from making the same mistake I made by ordering from SMS I have accomplished my goal, I'm not bashing SMS just giving an account of my experience.

it is unfortunate that they did not reply and as you have removed the stitching pretty much tells me you have no faith in the company to make good on the sale...you burnt your bridge to return defective product.  Having spoken with others who faced what you did I had a local  trimmer cut and sew my carpet and this allowed me to pick style and color easily from his sample book and I agree for the money you paid it should have been a slam dunk on install. My trimmer did what I feel is an excellent job on my carpet.  Unfortunately our cars were not jigged up and heat formed carpets like today's molded carpet are fabricated. I feel your pain for certain, spending a huge amount of money on a bogus product is a hard pill to swallow.

I have heard more than one of these stories about SMS.

Ok you emailed SMS about the carpet and they did  not reply back to you. I do understand that they should have a phone number. Did you make any effort to call them and try to talk to someone about the issue? From your posting it sounded as if you did not call them directly about the issue but took it upon your self to take the carpet apart so then you voided their warranty so the issue then became yours and not their..

Another suggestion is to always order a part from a major company like SMS and then use your credit card for payment.  If there is an issue with the part and the company will not respond then you contact the Credit card company and put a hold on the payment of the item. They will then contact the merchant on your behalf to either gt a refund or get the item fixed.

Since you took your own high road now you have no options left but have to eat the cost of the rug.  

Rich HArtung

• Like 1

I've dealt with SMS in the past and found their customer service pretty poor and non responsive.  I've avoided them ever since. 

• Like 1

Ok you emailed SMS about the carpet and they did  not reply back to you. I do understand that they should have a phone number. Did you make any effort to call them and try to talk to someone about the issue? From your posting it sounded as if you did not call them directly about the issue but took it upon your self to take the carpet apart so then you voided their warranty so the issue then became yours and not their..

Another suggestion is to always order a part from a major company like SMS and then use your credit card for payment.  If there is an issue with the part and the company will not respond then you contact the Credit card company and put a hold on the payment of the item. They will then contact the merchant on your behalf to either gt a refund or get the item fixed.

Since you took your own high road now you have no options left but have to eat the cost of the rug.  

Rich HArtung

Rich

If you had ever dealt with SMS you would know that when you call you usually get a answering machine telling you that they are extremely busy that it is best to e mail them. I believe this might be due to people calling to complain, just my opinion. Yes I decided to take the carpet apart and will be having a local shop cut it to fit correctly. Last thing I would do is send it back for SMS to attempt to cut it correctly after waiting 2 months to get what I have. There is plenty of carpet to make it work it going to cost me more money to do so. Yes I made the decision to take the high road as you call it and eat what I have rather than wait months trying to resolve this issue with my credit card company and SMS. I have also left a message on SMS Auto Interiors Face Book page warning other about their quality and not responding to my complaint.

• Like 1

I've dealt with SMS in the past and found their customer service pretty poor and non responsive.  I've avoided them ever since.

The upholstery shop that is going to correct the carpet issue told me the only time he uses SMS is to buy material that has been discontinued and hard to find. Even then he says the customer service is horrible

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I have never purchased anything from SMS......they do seem to have a lot of products.

I found a company that sells supplies to upholstery shops.......they sold me unfinished carpet by

the yard along with some padding and material to make edging.......then I had a local shop cut,

finish and install the carpet.  I had it put in both the car and trunk.  It came out very good.   

9 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

I have never purchased anything from SMS......they do seem to have a lot of products.

I found a company that sells supplies to upholstery shops.......they sold me unfinished carpet by

the yard along with some padding and material to make edging.......then I had a local shop cut,

finish and install the carpet.  I had it put in both the car and trunk.  It came out very good.   

My upholstery shop I'm using said the carpet I bought would have cost around 80 bucks a yard, I needed 4 yards. So I'm actually only eating about 200 bucks from the SMS fiasco. I've left a comment on the SMS Auto Fabrics Face Book page about this deal also. The keep on respondinding trying to cover themselves. If you look at their  reviews on their Face Book page the have more bad reviews than good.

Dave

so you did finally get Some response from them!!

Facebook must be more important to them than your emails were!

Good on Ya!

DJ

I hate to hear that you've had problems from  SMS. I recently got some samples from them. A friend used them on his 57 Desoto and had good results,  he recommended them to me. I guess you can have a bad experience with anyone.

2 hours ago, Flatie46 said:

I hate to hear that you've had problems from  SMS. I recently got some samples from them. A friend used them on his 57 Desoto and had good results,  he recommended them to me. I guess you can have a bad experience with anyone.

Please, do a internet search of SMS Auto Interiors and look at reviews and issues. Wish I would have before ordering my carpet from them. 

I was in the import auto parts business for 20+ years and sold a bunch of carpet sets.  For the price, I always found Newark Auto Products to be a great value.  They did quite a number of carpet kits for us and made every change we ever requested.  I haven't ordered a set for my 50 yet, but will from Newark once I'm to that point.  Also, Ben is a super nice guy and his people were always great to deal with.  Based on the listings I see all over the internet, I suspect they supply many companies carpets.   I found them in the late 70's when ordering seat covers from the JC Penney catalog and later talked my boss into branching out from hard parts with their stuff.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The place I got my carpet, padding, and some tan Haartz canvas to make a boot is in Kansas City, Kansas.  At a later time I visited a couple other upholstery wholesalers in Kansas City, MO.  One of them looked in their old stuff and came up with some tan and some maroon cloth to re-do my seats.  My son in law did the reupholstery work.  So--sometimes there is old style material out there if you have any older suppliers in your area.  

3 hours ago, BobT-47P15 said:

The place I got my carpet, padding, and some tan Haartz canvas to make a boot is in Kansas City, Kansas.  At a later time I visited a couple other upholstery wholesalers in Kansas City, MO.  One of them looked in their old stuff and came up with some tan and some maroon cloth to re-do my seats.  My son in law did the reupholstery work.  So--sometimes there is old style material out there if you have any older suppliers in your area.  

hey Bob, did you get a pedigree chart with the moths that came with the interior tracing their roots back to the date of origin

Hi Tim.   I see it's been a few days since your post........darn, I didn't get that info on those moths.........but the quality and condition of the

material seems to be OK.   Have no idea how ancient it really is.  Hopefully it will last for a while.

DSC09354[1].jpg

Edited by BobT-47P15

it is licensed and insured, has been since last November.....been way too many funerals, estates to settle, property to distribute, people being moved...recently purchased property that I have cleared.....life is at this time full in my face...the car...just another piece of metal albeit it bright and shiny...lol

Bob, go to my profile, just above the content display is the tab for albums....click there..give you an idea of what I am doing...this past weekend I cut some metal tubing, welded, skinned with siding then installed 3 three drive though doors for  the back of my barn to make jockeying cars a bit easier...cooler weather coming, things are calming a bit and hopes are to do get the duals onto the coupe and the door innards installed.   

I used SMS to purchase my headliner for my 50 Ply. wagon. When I called them, I talked to a person who was very helpful. He asked what material and color was I looking for. I told him I wanted to have my headliner made in the same vinyl my seats were done in. He asked if I could send him a picture of the vinyl. I told him I could send him a swatch of it. So I sent them a piece of the vinyl. They got it and called me back and said not a problem to match. Three weeks later I got it . And I had my upholstery guy put it in and it fit like a glove. So I guess I am saying that my experience with SMS was a good one and I always called if I had a question and had always talked to a person , emails can get over looked.

I'm happy everything worked out for you with your headliner. Wish I could have said the same about my carpet. I did attempt to make phone calls to SMS and all I got was an answering machine saying they are very busy and don't take calls to leave a message and a representative would call back. No calls was returned, that's when I tried e mailing, still no response. That's when I resorted to their Face Book page and left a comment, that got their attention immediately.