Percolation and Hershey

meadowbrook

Hi all.

First the neat stuff, I am driving from Ann Arbor area to the Hershey meet and showing my '50 Meadowbrook in a 'driver' class. Dad will be there with his '56 Jag.

Anyone in the group from MI or OH planning to taking the trip?

If so, we could caravan. I'm DRIVING the ol Dodge there.

Secondly, for those who care, I have added a 1" spacer between the carb and the intake to mitigate the percolation issue, and it still stalled after a very long stop and go driving stint in Woodward Ave during the cruise.

So I think the next step would be a heat shield sandwiched between the carb and intake, extending to form a radiation barrier between the intake and carb. That or an electric fan for the radiator that would increase airflow under the hood when the engine is idling.

Thoughts?

And a final question. I am assuming percolation because I cant see the fuel line prior to the fuel pump getting hot because it runs well below the engine and far from the manifold, plus the heat shield for the pump is present.

So when percolation occurs, I'm told the fuel overflows into the intake. Question is, wouldn't the excess fuel go up through the bowl vent out of the carb and thus prevent dumping into the intake?

I will be at Hershey Sunday through Sunday.

I would add a high quality electric fuel pump and regulator and get rid of the mechanical pump.

I assume your heat riser is working correctly or at least held in the correct position? My heat riser was working backwards cause the spring was made incorrectly and the car didn't like that at all at idle for long periods. Got a correctly made spring and that took care of my idle issue with the carb.

Earl

I was able to totally eliminate this condition with nothing more than a home made heat shield that is held in place with bailing wire. The shield sits on top the manifold and is about 4" wide and maybe 7" long. Very simple......and does a more than adequate job deflecting heat away from the float chamber.

Since I added this I have not had any hot starting problems......and it gets plenty hot here.

Side note: I had already eliminated the mechanical pump and have a good electric pump and regulator. I still had hot starting issues until I added the shield I have mentioned.

Jeff

Here'a a reply I couldn't send when the system was down:  

Regarding parades and other slow traffic:  (The Woodward DreamCruise is known for slow travel.  From where I live near at 12 Mile Road, northbound is slower than a crawl, while southbound is clearer.  Every year, I drive my DeSoto from 12 Mile Road to 11 or 10 Mile, and then back home by back streets.)  

I had my DeSoto in a walking-pace parade once, where the engine overheated and wouldn't start until it cooled down.  Some clutch in and out, some letting the Fluid Drive slip and get hot?  I have since installed a pusher fan, for such a situation that has never recurred, but just might someday. 

Overheating can also affect a questionable coil. 

Electric fuel pumps help counteract percolation.  

That's all I have to say about that.