Has anyone changed to a 6 volt alternator?

BobT-47P15

At the recent swap meet, some fellow I spoke to said "I changed my 6 volt generator to a 6v alternator" and

the car did better on charging. 

I looked on the net tonight.......there are numerous alternators for as low as around $35 and on up......which look

like a normal alternator.  They do make them in positive ground.  Looks like a different bracket would be

needed too.   Then....two companies make an alternator in a case that looks like a generator.  Those range in

price from around $400 to about $800.  Any experience with this type swap?  

yes you can get a 6 volt positive ground alternator they are usually a gm type I bought a 6 volt positive ground 1 wire off a guy on eBay about 5 years ago I used the factory generator brackets with very little fab work I have had no issues with it so far I also bought a kit off the same guy so if I had any issues I could repair it I have to look before I go to work may have his contact info with the kit if I do I will pass it on to you I am sure many others here have also done this swap.. 1 800 962 5745 is the number I have can't hurt to give them a call and inquire about it best of luck ...Dan

Some of the places selling the alternators listed a mounting bracket.....and some said they had the wider

pulley available. 

Can  you hook up an alternator to the battery gauge in the dash to show charging?

on my 52 I unhooked the battery wire from the regulator and spliced on a section of wire to the alternator may not be the correct way to do it but it has been this way over 5 years and works as it should as does the ammeter I used 48 pulleys on my engine so I am running the wide belt I used the wide pulley from my generator with no issues so far