water leak at head?

glendale

so iI am installing a chromed head,t5,langdon hei, and an edmunds intake on a 38 plymouth. I fired it up today for a few seconds and then started adding water. i have water shooting out of the block between the head and block near the water pump. i just realized i did not put rtv on any head bolts. could that be the problem?

20160825_184837.jpg

specifically coming out here.

Screenshot_2016-08-25-17-33-58_1.jpg

The hole can be tapped 9/16  national fine  or, use the later gasket which will seal the hole against the block.

It appears that your original head gasket has the hole for the internal bypass port but the head doesn't. And your "spare" head has the port. It seems that you have a mismatch of parts there. But I'm guessing you'll be pulling the head to investigate further, and possibly plug a hole.

Merle

51 to 59, but only if the head has the extra passage   and not the block.  You can also seal off the block passage by using the back cover from an earlier than 51 water pump.

51 to 59, but only if the head has the extra passage   and not the block.  You can also seal off the block passage by using the back cover from an earlier than 51 water pump.

If I am wrong here please correct me. These photos are from my files and not identified well.

Pictured below is an external by pass backing plate with the hole blocked off.

water_pumps.jpg

Pictured here is a gasket for an internal by pass pump with the hole open.

4267.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of days late here but look at my post "bad head gasket" if you're still looking

for an answer. The head gasket I used to block this hole/leak came from

Auto Zone. Felpro '53 Plym. #075550.

Plymjim