Cruisin' in the Meadowbrook

Worden18

Been a while since I posted; just wanted to share some pics with everyone.  Wife, kids, and I take the '51 out a few times a week for evening cruises. We're usually out for an hour or better.  More on weekends.  Sometimes I go 40mph, sometimes 55.  Gets better mileage at 55: been averaging over 20mpg...no kidding!  If we lug around at 40 it gets between 15-18.  It always calms me to take the old Dodge for a ride.  Its all original, and we enjoy it like that!

23_zpsiiw0h3cq.jpg

25_zpsyuida5qt.jpg

28_zpszpnuobbh.jpg

29_zpsmoowbiah.jpg

31_zpsjvwwb2ue.jpg

40_zps4ddjkpj7.jpg

• Like 7

Not only do I love original unrestored driver cars,I LOVE the name "Meadowbrook". What family man in the 50's shopping for a new car wouldn't be attracted to a car with such a peaceful and happy name?

• Like 1

Meadow Brook Hall was the home of John and Matilda Dodge, built on an estate (farm) they had.  (Meadowbrook is a popular name just north of here for civic features and for business, Meadowbrook Hall, Meadowbrook Sewer Rooters, etc.)  So when the Dodge people had to come up with a classy name for their car, they thought long and hard, and it was Meadowbrook.  

Love the original patina look. My wife keeps asking when will I paint it. I don't have the nerve to tell her I don't plan to. Bwahaha.

They are only original once. I'd only consider repainting it if rust started popping out.

• Like 1

Our development has a different name for each style of home.  We bought a Meadowbrook.

True story....my wife and I were trying to choose between the Meadowbrook and another model the builder was offering.   We really couldn't decide.  On the way to the sales office to sign the sales contract, a Dodge Meadowbrook passed us on the road (pretty unusual on a foggy morning in 1997).  That event made the decision for us.

• Like 2

In 1951 my dad bought a 35 Plymouth 2 door sedan. His friend was an auto painter and they repainted the Plymouth the colour of your car.  Lots of clear was added to the final coats and the colour just glowed.  

That colour was called Andante Green (if it was on a Desoto  and Gypsy Green Metallic on a Dodge.)    Very sharp when new.