Windshield leaks

Fiddy B2C

Hello, I have a 50 B2C, hence the name. My windshield has leaked since I bought it. The gasket is new, ad the PO said he replaced it recently, but it looks like it doesn't have a long enough flange. In other words, there is a gap between the truck body and the seal. I'm looking at replacing it or finding some other way to stop the leak. My question is, where can I get a quality gasket? And if I get the good gasket, will a local glass shop put it in for me? I don't have much experience with the windshield glass. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Try the one from Steele rubber products, the one from Roberts is pure junk IMO...it doesn't cover the pinch welds enough and fits poorly...my centre bar holes were so outta whack I ended up cracking my psgr side window because the screw wouldn't match up and went crooked on me

On 8/24/2016 at 11:09 PM, 4mula-dlx said:

Try the one from Steele rubber products, the one from Roberts is pure junk IMO...it doesn't cover the pinch welds enough and fits poorly...my centre bar holes were so outta whack I ended up cracking my psgr side window because the screw wouldn't match up and went crooked on me

I always hear things like this and wonder "what if they all came from the same supplier".  Point is, our trucks aren't exactally buring up the market to have these parts made.  These are LARGE expensive tools, and I'd lay odds that many of the parts are made at the same factory, by the same people, but distributed by many.  I'm pretty sure that Gary didn't pop for a tool for something he sells 10 of a year, same with Steele.  My guess is there WAS a tool revision change and it comes down to inventory depletion.  Just my thoughts is all.

• Like 1

I have used a Roberts and a Steele gasket.  The Steele is better - and more expensive...and I still fear I will drown if I drive in the rain.  If I have to do it again, I will try Clesters.  The price is right and it can't fit any worse than I have already experienced.

• Like 1

I've heard a lot more good about Steele, and pretty much only bad from Roberts, so that tells me that they are of a different material, or manufacturer...that said, maybe their not that much better either according to Boba....but I would never recommend the Roberts one to anyone with the poor quality that I found it to be. Some of their other parts are just fine, not digging the whole company, but the windshield and rear window gaskets are not something I'd support

• Like 1

I have the Steele windshield seal and it leaked. I don't believe any of them won't leak without using some type of sealer. I ended up using a urethane sealant around the outer lip of the rubber seal to seal against the body. That stopped the major leaks but I would still see some water come through between the glass and the rubber. So I went back and carefully worked more urethane sealant in between the glass and the rubber. I have not seen any water come through since then. It wasn't a fun job but the end result was what I needed. No more leaks.

Merle

• Like 1

I sealed mine with a permatex window silicone that is very thin, so it flows into the bad spots better and it's quite easy to use...I think my windshield is pretty decent now, but my cowl vent leaks like a sieve, apparently another new gasket that wasn't quite right. I've adjusted it 10 times...won't seal up, and funny thing is that didn't leak before with the original seal

• 2 weeks later...

I used some of the Permatex flow able silicone on the windshield...it has cured a couple of days...but call me a wuss, I haven't leak tested it yet.  This weekend I will though.  I only put the sealant on the body side of the gasket, because the glass side looked like it was pretty snug...we'll see.