Why my plug wire #1 is at 2 o'clock in the dizzy cap.(not 7 o'clock)

I always is noticing that someone saying the plug wire #1 in the distributor cap is at 7 o'clock.I saw my #1 plug wire is at 2 o'clock.My PU is running very well.Is it wrong?Why this can be different?Thanks for any input.

If everything is assembled as per the manual your #1 plug wire would be at the 7 O-Clock position. But it could be anywhere if the oil pump wasn't indexed properly. In your case it sounds like the distributor was installed 180 degrees off and instead of removing it and turning the rotor 180 they just moved the wires to correspond to the rotor position. There is nothing wrong with that and it likely runs fine that way.

If everything is assembled as per the manual your #1 plug wire would be at the 7 O-Clock position. But it could be anywhere if the oil pump wasn't indexed properly. In your case it sounds like the distributor was installed 180 degrees off and instead of removing it and turning the rotor 180 they just moved the wires to correspond to the rotor position. There is nothing wrong with that and it likely runs fine that way.

Merle,thanks very much for your input.I understood.I have my B3-B(with IND-251engine) since 1987 and never dismounted its oil pump.Regards.

Perhaps a previous owner replaced the oil pump and did not pay attention to the indexing procedure  I would make a note that stays withthe truck that explains that the position of number ! plug wire is at X o'clock and firing order proceeds from there for any future owner or if the truck needs to get repaired by a technician not familiar with the situation.

180° out is an easy fix without touching the oil pump: Simply remove the distributor hold down screw, raise the distributor a little bit, rotate the rotor 1/2 turn, plop the distributor back down, reinstall the hold down screw, move the spark plug wires and reset the timing.

180° out is an easy fix without touching the oil pump: Simply remove the distributor hold down screw, raise the distributor a little bit, rotate the rotor 1/2 turn, plop the distributor back down, reinstall the hold down screw, move the spark plug wires and reset the timing.

but then it would be like the book and pose no future question in the line of   WHAT THE HECK

TodFitch but turning the rotor 1/2 turn(180 degrees) #1 spark plug wire will be at 8 o'clock,ok?I did not remember how is the shaft slot shape.

I always is noticing that someone saying the plug wire #1 in the distributor cap is at 7 o'clock.I saw my #1 plug wire is at 2 o'clock.My PU is running very well.Is it wrong?Why this can be different?Thanks for any input.

Are you trying to fix something that is not broken? Leave it alone and drive it.

• Like 1

My 52 Cranbrook was at 5:00 when I got it. I had starting issues and knowing no better at the time I changed it to be what the manual said. Solved starting issues but now is correct. Wasn't a big deal to change.

I still prefer to withdraw the oil pump and turn its gear in the same direction(clockwise) as the distributor shaft until get 7 o'clock.

I still prefer to withdraw the oil pump and turn its gear in the same direction(clockwise) as the distributor shaft until get 7 o'clock.

You do not need to withdraw the oil pump.

All you need to do is remove the distributor mounting bolt and lift the distributor up about an inch. Then you will be able to rotate the rotor shaft clockwise 180 degrees and lower it back into the slot and tighten the bolt back up. All that is left to do is to move all the plug wires clockwise in the cap over 3 spots each. And finally start it up and check your timing.

Jeff

You do not need to withdraw the oil pump.

All you need to do is remove the distributor mounting bolt and lift the distributor up about an inch. Then you will be able to rotate the rotor shaft clockwise 180 degrees and lower it back into the slot and tighten the bolt back up. All that is left to do is to move all the plug wires clockwise in the cap over 3 spots each. And finally start it up and check your timing.

Jeff

Can you show me a pic of the slot.Is it a rectangular shape?

Change it if it makes you feel better. But if your engine is running well now it will make no difference in how it runs assuming you get it re-timed correctly. Pictured is the distributor shaft. Only goes in 2 ways unless you have a military engine. Some military engines have a tapered tang that only goes in one way. This was done to make distributor replacement easier in combat situations.

D4.jpg

Change it if it makes you feel better. But if your engine is running well now it will make no difference in how it runs assuming you get it re-timed correctly. Pictured is the distributor shaft. Only goes in 2 ways unless you have a military engine. Some military engines have a tapered tang that only goes in one way. This was done to make distributor replacement easier in combat situations.

D4.jpg

Then is a very easy job.In my WWII 1942 Jeep this slot is not rectangular.Thanks very much.

Then why the manual likes 7 o'clock?Only a rule of measure(pattern)?Thanks.

for uniformity and the fact that YOU WILL KNOW IT IS RIGHT WHEN IT IS RIGHT..allows a person to follow book trouble shooting and not mix in half cocked shade tree antics...just by reading here you can tell many folks have trouble following along with the book..can you just imagine the added frustration and confusion if something is not aligned with the book....I quit trying to explain this many years ago..

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Glad I stumbled onto this thread....replaced the spark plug wires on my '50, and after attaching them according to the wiring diagram it wouldn't fire properly. Didn't mark the locations on the cap because I "knew" where the wires should go!  Sure enough, a previous owner had installed the dizzy 180 degrees off! I Put it back to original by aligning the shaft where it's supposed to be.