4 Speed Trans ID

A previous owner changed out the 3-speed column shift with a 4-speed on the floor. I am trying to figure out which transmission it is, so I can get a seal and gasket kit for it. It's a synchro 4-speed (3rd and 4th only). The number cast into the side of the case is C88221, and the date above that is 3-29-51.

I've been looking at trans stuff on the Power Wagon site, and it looks a lot like the C88671. If that gasket and seal set would fit mine, life would be wonderful. Based on what I have read in the various topics, it looks like I also need to make a custom gasket to fit the front of the tranny, but I'm pretty sure the leak is from the rear seal. How it can leak from above the oil fill plug is beyond me, but...

Thanks in advance.

Oh, my truck is a 1949 B1B X truck, but heaven only knows what the tranny came out of.

Hutch

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 6:10 PM, mhutchen@kcbx.net said:

A previous owner changed out the 3-speed column shift with a 4-speed on the floor. I am trying to figure out which transmission it is, so I can get a seal and gasket kit for it. It's a synchro 4-speed (3rd and 4th only). The number cast into the side of the case is C88221, and the date above that is 3-29-51.

I've been looking at trans stuff on the Power Wagon site, and it looks a lot like the C88671. If that gasket and seal set would fit mine, life would be wonderful. Based on what I have read in the various topics, it looks like I also need to make a custom gasket to fit the front of the tranny, but I'm pretty sure the leak is from the rear seal. How it can leak from above the oil fill plug is beyond me, but...

Thanks in advance.

Oh, my truck is a 1949 B1B X truck, but heaven only knows what the tranny came out of.

Hutch

Not sure you will like my answer, but I found the same issue when trying to identify, then swap my non-syncro trans to a syncro unit.  My trans pops out of gear once In a while and it would be easier and cheaper to get a used one than to rebuild this one (and still end up with a non-syncro transmission).   My application might be slightly larger than yours however.

What I did was start searching the web for my particular transmission - I tried to identify the case, and then the numbers.  I did all that a while ago, but I did come across a wonderful site that had all sorts of information on the various transmissions and even likely vehicles to find them in.   Ahh, that was a while ago as I say..  best I can tell you now, is do the same thing - start scouring the internet looking at photo's and typing in your tansmission numbers.

Here is one for Borg Warners

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transmissions/manual/t18-t19

Here's another with good verbage, but no photo;s

http://www.rsgear.com/technical/diagrams/transmission-articles/domestic-truck-transmission-identification-guide.aspx#New_Process_435

It's a New Process model 420 syncro trans... drain plug sticks out parallel to bottom of the case.

• Like 1