Anyone ever put trailor hitch on their B1???

doogan

Well I finally finished restoration on the 49 B-1.   As soon as I learn how to post pictures I will show some before and after pics.   I'm rather proud of the old truck.   If it provides me with as much enjoyment and dependability as one did for my dad some 50 years ago I will be well pleased.  

Dad had a hitch on his old truck.   Not the old type that bolted onto the rear bumper, but one that was some how bolted to the frame and came out under the rear bumper.   He used it for his fishing boat and a little 10 ft trailer to haul things around with.

Anyone ever done this or have any suggestions as to how it may have been done?  Wish I had thought and looked it over back then.

Thanks

Don

• Like 1

I had a homemade hidden hitch on mine when I got it, but with no plans to ever pull anything, it hit the scrap yard, but all you have to do is either build one from scratch that grabs the outside of the frame rails, or modify a stock one from some other vehicle. Can't imagine there is anything on the market for a direct fit, or likely even close, but some good square tubing and plate and it wouldn't take long to build

I built one for my truck. It took about 8 hours to build it, and it is very strong. You can see it here: http://p15-d24.com/topic/23400-some-progress/page-49?hl=%2052b3b%20%20joe

It is nice for pulling smaller trailers around, and for doing light duty work. I have pulled around 4,000-4,500 pounds with it a few times, and it is slow going. I always avoid busy roads, and fast traffic. It is a lot of fun, and I get a lot of compliments. 

• Like 2

For my hitch I torched a square hole in the bumper and put a 1 1/4 " square tube through it. There was a strong metal piece welded to one of the bed cross members so I welded the inside end of that tube to that, then I drilled a hole in the tube for the receiver, closed up the hole around the tube in the bumper, cut off the excess and cleaned up the weld.  Now I have a nice receiver and it is flush with the bumper. A bit make shift but it will do all I will ever want. 

For my hitch I torched ..............Paul, I get nervous when you say torched!

The Cat ( the one that started the garage fire later ) was still smoldering after the torch work!