1947 DeSoto Wiring Diagram

CpRivers

Is there a wiring diagram for the 1947 DeSoto in the download section? I couldn't find anything. I am mostly interested in the ignition wiring section and the wiring to the carb. The diagram that I have doesn't match the car.

Thanks,

Chuck

Here's a wiring diagram, in full color.  I hope it's clear enough. 

post-126-0-13866700-1471298358_thumb.jpg

The automatic choke connects to the starter solenoid post that is energized when the starter is cranking. 

The ignition switch powers the coil.  Another wire at the same post of the coil runs to the transmission relay, to the BAT post. 

Wires from the transmission relay connect to the carburetor anti-stall and kick-down switch (don't get them mixed up). 

In the middle of the right half of the chart are the governor switch, solenoid and interrupter switch on the transmission.  Their wires wires trace back to the transmission relay.  

Enjoy.

Do you have the semi-automatic or overdrive transmission?  Do you have the automatic choke? 

Automatic choke and Tip-Toe (?) trans. There are 2 wires going to the carb. One is apparently a switch and I think the other is a "dash pot", although it seems to be called different things in different sections of the manual. All the wiring diagrams I have seen show 2 wires to each item, but I only have one wire to each. The wiring diagram from rb1949 above looks better!

Edited by CpRivers

Here's a wiring diagram, in full color.  I hope it's clear enough. 

attachicon.gifwiring diagram.JPG

The automatic choke connects to the starter solenoid post that is energized when the starter is cranking. 

The ignition switch powers the coil.  Another wire at the same post of the coil runs to the transmission relay, to the BAT post. 

Wires from the transmission relay connect to the carburetor anti-stall and kick-down switch (don't get them mixed up). 

In the middle of the right half of the chart are the governor switch, solenoid and interrupter switch on the transmission.  Their wires wires trace back to the transmission relay.  

Enjoy.

Thanks! I was concerned about the coil wiring because there does not seem to be a resistor anywhere, and it looks like the coil shorted out and melted wires in the dist. and the harness. I saw a diagram for a later DeSoto that had a circuit breaker and resistor, but there is nothing on this car. I patched up the harness and threw a 12v coil on just to see if I could get a spark and the beast fired right up!

The wire that hooks to the anti-stall was connected to the ignition side of the coil, so I need to re-route that to the relay. Someone obviously messed around with this and did not know what they were doing.

IF you are still 6 volt there is not a need for a ballast resisitor....or internal resistor coil

Interesting that a 1950 wiring diagram has the resistor.

Chuck

Chuck... care to post that schematic where it shows a resistor for the ignition..that would be very interesting itself...I hope that in looking at the schematic on that year car you are not confusing the drawing indicating the metal shield for the ignition wire as being a resistor...

Edited by Plymouthy Adams

There is no resistor in an S11 or any MoPar 6 volt system as we all should know :D

• Like 2

Here is the 1950 schematic from http://astrapt.com/wiring/1950-desoto-wiring-diagram.php. Scroll down toward the bottom of the page to see the picture I copied here.

Resistor and circuit breaker at top left.

Chuck

post-9428-0-70111600-1471658946_thumb.jpg

Edited by CpRivers

The air cleaner bracket mounted circuit breaker protects the M-6 transmission electrical components.

That 12 ohm resistor is mounted in the same 2"X3" box next to the circuit breaker and is only used to prevent  the ignition circuit from energizing the transmission electrical circuit and controls.

It has nothing to do to with the points and cutting down voltage supplied to them.

In post No. 12, the resister and circuit breaker shown are part of the M6 semi-automatic transmission wiring.  They replace the klunky transmission relay used with the M5 transmission, and probably saved Ma Chrysler a ton of money over so many units.  It might have even worked better. 

The resister and circuit breaker have nothing to do with the ignition system.  They only get power from the same location. 

• 1 year later...