IFS/P15

bob westphal

yes..we had one guy do it on here....it is not in my opinion the better IFS choice but it is one that is in a package deal.  the main problem with the install is the very frame rail and integral spring pockets of the original frame..this has to be heavily altered to give way to the clip.  you can modify as I said or take the option changing the front rails from the get go as often is the case for the MII suspension install.  Both are involved..there is another readily available all mopar clip that in my opinion is the better option but that is another story altogether. 

There was a guy at one time selling for a few bucks a pamphlet on how to install the Volare clip into anything....you may find that by doing an internet search.  I have seen this booklet, while not the bible so to speak will cover many do's and don't of the install.

Is there any info on Volare front clip in P15s?

Bob,not trying to be a wiseass,but what's wrong with the original front suspension for a driver car?

If you will go to the Tech thread and search for "Front Suspension Upgrades by James Curl 01 Aug 2008" page 19 technical Archives it references an article by hot rod web site where they do a late model ball joint front suspension using the old A frames with ball joints and later spindles.  They are doing a Buick but if you look at what they are doing then look at the P-15 suspension you can see how it is done.I started doing just that with Chrysler spindles and made adapters for the ball joints for my 48 P-15.  I installed the drivers side and was having trouble getting enough caster for my liking as it dropped the front over 3 inches which I had not allowed for.  At that time I was 72 years old and too old to spend that much time on my knees under the fender so I reinstalled the stock parts thinking I might have the front clip off at a future time which has not happened and in the mean time I purchased  Fatman dropped spindles which I have not installed and realistically never will.

• Like 1

Plymouthy,

What is the other better option suspension? To answer James' question about what is wrong with the

original suspension:

I installed the Fat Man dropped 3" uprights with stock springs and the original steering gear which is

worn out. As you might recall, I'm running a slant 6. The fact is, I'm not really happy with the ride

and handling.

My 2 cents and I'll try to make it a "Short Story"

I bought a Volare with the intent of using the front clip under my P15.  Turned out to be a pretty nice car so I drove it thinking I'd get another for the clip.  After driving for awhile I became aware of uncomfortable idiosyncrasies common to the basic design.  Heard unverified gossip that some Chrysler engineers quit because of their concerns about it's validity and the safety of the design.  I also realized that the Volare clip places the wheels slightly outboard of the fender line and even with custom off-set wheels could not get the look I was after.

My alternative solution was Fatman dropped spindles and cut coils to get the appearance I was after (I can just hear the howls of anguish from the traditionalists)  :o  I also installed a beefy sway bar.  Mostly a bolt on and it worked pretty well even with the stock steering.  Still with the Flat 6.

However,.....couldn't leave well enough alone and after a few years decided to up grade to a V8 and modern steering.  By now I had the confidence to tackle a serious IFS install.  Did that along with a Mopar 360 drive train.  I have no regrets,.....fact is, I'm damn proud of it.

This link is to my build thread.  It's pretty thread-bare for pics now as it's several years old.  However, if you have question, please gimme a shout.  I'd be happy to share what I can.

http://p15-d24.com/t.../22985-im-back/

Edited by mrwrstory
  • Like 2