1941 Chrysler Windsor Vacamatic Trans Swap?

1949 Wraith

I am looking a possibly purchasing a 1941 Chrysler Windsor Club Coupe C28. The car has the fluid drive with the vacamatic transmission. It is an estate sale so I was not able to test drive it other than on a long driveway, she would select and drive in the low and high range but I am not sure it was up shifting in the low range and I did not have the room to get to shifting speed in the high range.

I am not a big fan of automatics, but I must say the vacamatic was interesting. Since this series of transmission was only used for a couple of years is it still possible to get parts to make them function properly and for me not to have to come out of retirement to buy them?

Is it possible to swap a donor fluid drive 3 speed transmission (3 speeds from 1940-49?) without to much modification?  I believe the 1941 Royal year came in this configuration so hopefully transmission mounts should be close if not the same. I know I will need the shift linkage, I am not sure about the driveshaft length and parking brake, but I imagine it can be figured out.

I really like the car and would like to keep it original if I can, but I want options if it can not be fixed. I don't want buy a car and be driving around in high under and being passed by Model T's. :huh:

Thank you for your input.

My 41 windsor with vacamatic is plenty quick enough to keep up with modern traffic ,these transmissions are pretty bulletproof and also fun to drive! Please don't change it ! 

I would only change it if I could not get it repaired to get into high direct drive.

Only common early vacamatic issue is a split/cracked and leaking shift diaphragm.. easy to fix. Will cause a no upshift.

Not saying this car even has a problem up shifting. You need to drive it more to be sure of correct upshifts.

Only common early vacamatic issue is a split/cracked and leaking shift diaphragm.. easy to fix. Will cause a no upshift.

Not saying this car even has a problem up shifting. You need to drive it more to be sure of correct upshifts.

I have not been able to locate replacement diaphragms online are they still readily available?

I did come across an article that said the early units had a cable to disable the under drives allowing you to shift between low high and direct drive, is this correct? I would be fine with that until I could source parts. My concern is having a vehicle that will only drive in high under drive at 40 mph.This would just reinforce my wife's opinion that I am crazy in adding another "project" to the garage.

I have a friend who has a 41 convert that he just used inner tube material to replace the diaphragm. Still working 10 years later.

have you checked out all the information on the the various iterations of the semi automatic transmissions in the repair and maintenance section of the Imperial Club web site?  If not Its is recommended reading.  Would also suggest you do a search for vaca-matic on the All Par website. 

I have a friend who has a 41 convert that he just used inner tube material to replace the diaphragm. Still working 10 years later.

That's good to know. Thanks

have you checked out all the information on the the various iterations of the semi automatic transmissions in the repair and maintenance section of the Imperial Club web site?  If not Its is recommended reading.  Would also suggest you do a search for vaca-matic on the All Par website. 

Yes I have read the excellent description of the mechanics of the m6 transmission and the controls are for the hydraulic systems. There no real description of the earlier m4 vacamatic controls and their set up

So I have permission to test drive the car on a back road to test the auto shifting. Hopefully it works fine but it is good to know that it is possible to fashion a functioning replacement. 

From my research replacement diaphragms can tend to fail shortly after being put into use, as they where all manufactured 75 years ago and are deteriorating and drying out.

The lever that locked out the under drives leaving basically 2nd and direct gear, can that be used as a 2 speed trans by shifting like a normal standard without causing any damage? The owners manuals on the time said you were only to use it to push start the engine. I know the 1 and 3rd gear under drives  but it would be more of a functional car for me if I had 2 and 4th with causing damage.

The car performed very well on the test drive. A deal was made and the car should have her safety inspection and on the road next week.

Thank you for all the input

• Like 4

great news! These things were not great for stirring performance but they are virtually bullet proof. What part of Ontario do you hail from?

Near London Ontario

My dad and I have done the swap to a manual 3 speed on his 41 Desoto. We used a transmission from a 41 dodge without fluid drive, and swapped the input shaft for a fluid drive 3 speed unit. We had to have a new driveshaft made, which was no issue, and adapt the parking brake. It was fairly simple. He had the semi auto in it for 35 years, and for the most part it was reliable, but after a few times of getting stranded, and having the transmission lock up and bind, we opted for the swap.

No need to swap that trans. They are a good transmission. An original nice car keep it that way.

Any Canadian 3 spd trans and clutch housing will work with this set-up.

You will need to move the clutch cross member forward to accommodate for the shorter housing as compared with the fluid drive housing.

The other item to be addressed is the clutch throw out bearing push rod needs to be shorter, and that's about it.

Contact timkingsbury on this forum, he is from near Milton Ontario, and maybe able to set you up with the correct parts for this swap.

post-9179-0-67205300-1471303393_thumb.jpgpost-9179-0-99478300-1471303438_thumb.jpgpost-9179-0-74036600-1471303479_thumb.jpgpost-9179-0-71306700-1471303519_thumb.jpgpost-9179-0-64165100-1471303545_thumb.jpg

Here are the requested photos She spent most of her life in Arizona and she is cleaning up great. Very happy.

Edited by 1949 Goat
  • Like 1

Rust free dry country cars are the best! 

That's a real beauty! ;)

Looks like you found a slick driver. Have fun.

Thanks, hopefully the safety check gets done tomorrow then I am good to go.

Car is on the road now. I put on about 120 miles on her yesterday other than a bit of vapor lock, after sitting for a few minutes, she performed great.

Can anyone confirm this is similar to the by pass oil filters of the era? Canister is about 5 inches tall and probably about 4.5 inches wide.

I would like to order the correct cartridge and do an oil change.

post-9179-0-23851100-1471529333_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1949 Goat